[theburmanetnews] BurmaNet News: Ma

Subject: [theburmanetnews] BurmaNet News: March 16, 2000

  ________________ THE BURMANET NEWS _________________
/        An on-line newspaper covering Burma           \
\_________________ www.burmanet.org ___________________/

Thursday, March 16, 2000
Issue # 1488

To view the version of this issue with photographs, go
to-
http://theburmanetnews.editthispage.com/stories/storyReader$243

 NOTED IN PASSING:

Burma "wishes to use in its development Yugoslav
technology."

Than Shwe (See TANJUG: FOREIGN MINISTER'S TRIP TO
MYANMAR, LAOS, N. KOREA)

*Inside Burma

MTBR: US$ 144M MOBILE PHONE NETWORK READY IN 'WEEKS'

MTBR: DAIWA SECURITIES BOSS IN YANGON

SHAN: JUNTA OFFICER EXPORTS HORSEPILLS

SCMP: MESSING ABOUT ON THE IRRAWADDY

*International

BANGKOK POST: FLOOD OF SPEED PILLS FROM BURMA EXPECTED
THIS
YEAR

MTBR: ABANDON SANCTIONS CALL AS US CONTENDERS BID FOR
VOTES

BLOOMBERG: `BURMA AND THE ART OF LACQUER' EXHIBIT OPENS
AT BRITISH MUSEUM

*Other

___________________ INSIDE BURMA ______________________

MTBR: US$ 144M MOBILE PHONE NETWORK READY IN 'WEEKS'

The Myanmar Times & Business Review

(Myanmar's first international weekly Journal)

March 6-12, 2000, Volume 1, No.1

MT Exclusive
By San Tun Aung

MYANMAR will kick-off its financial year with one of the
biggest investments in the country since the Asian
currency crisis with the launching of a massive US$144
million mobile phone project.	But it may be two months
before users in Yangon and Mandalay get to telephone via
a Global System for Mobiles (GSM) - the much awaited
technology is expected to be introduced in May.

The Myanmar Posts & Telecommunications (MPT) is the
vehicle through which GSM will operate.

The Myanmar Sky-Link Company, linked to Sky-Link
Communications Ltd, a British Virgins Islands entity, is
handling installation of the system before transferring
it to MPT, once becomes operational.

The price of a handset to be set by MPT, is estimated at
k500,000 (US$1540) - way below the K2m (US$6000) price
tag prevailing for some cellular phones in Yangon.
Disconcertingly, of the wide range of handsets that can
be used with the system, MPT will decide which make of
hand phone will "suit the country
best".

But, according to Myanmar Times sources, the price of the
service, once connected, will be lower than the cellular
network currently being used throughout the nation.

A Sky-Link official, during an exclusive interview with
Myanmar Times, said GSM phones offer better sound
quality, provide new and improved data transmission and
has a sophisticated billing system.

GSM will provide a major boon to business struggling to
regain
momentum after the Asian financial crisis. The technology
allows true multimedia facility and phones can double as
fax machines message banks - even hook up with the
Internet.

The Sky-Link official said because of GSM's advanced
technology cloning could not occur and the ability to
"eavesdrop or hack" would be severely hampered or
disappear entirely.

The company will make sure that users need not make a
number of attempts to make a call because of congestion
within the system.

The intention is to have 26 and 14 micro cells set up in
Yangon and Mandalay respectively.

More will be installed in areas if greater calls are made
than the existing system accommodates. GSM phones also
work inside buildings and can penetrate three layers of
walls. In places like supermarkets built in the basement,
micro cells will be installed.

Altogether 70,000 phones and 30,000 phones will be made
available in Yangon and Mandalay under Phase I. The next
step will be to make the system operational in 11 smaller
towns where a total of 33,000 more mobiles can then be
put into the system.

With more than 225,000 fixed line telephones and about
10,000 cellular mobiles at present, the introduction of
the GSM system will in three years' time, increase by 50
per cent phones in use in Myanmar, currently estimated to
stand at 0.44 to 0.66 per hundred people.

The launching of Phase II, to take place within six
months of completion, will enable people travelling
between Yangon and Mandalay to use their phones in any
location.

International roaming, which is seamless and affordable,
will also be possible if agreements can be struck within
the rules of the GSM Association based in Ireland.

As the ability to roam was designed into the GSM right
from the start, it would greatly be appreciated by
frequent travelers. The system, originated in Europe, was
created in such a way that users could use the same phone
number and handset to make and receive calls throughout
the continent.

SHAN: JUNTA OFFICER EXPORTS HORSEPILLS

No: 3 - 10

A company commander in eastern Shan State was reported to
have been
involved in the exportation of amphetamines into
Thailand, according to
S.H.A.N.'s source from the border.

On Saturday 4 March, Captain Kyaw Sein, Company
Commander, IB 65 (Mongton) took 40 men in 3 offroaders to
BP-2, opposite Fang District of Chiangmai. (BP-1 is
oppositeChiangdao District, also of Chiangmai.)

At Loi-oon, a small hillock 2 miles north of BP-2, he met
Jala, a Muser tribesman from Nawngphai, Tambon Mawngpin,
Fang District, where he delivered 500,000 "horsepills" at
12 baht apiece..

According to the source, Jala had already given B.
1,500,000 to Ltc. Myint Sway, Commander of IB 65, in
advance. Jala was instructed to pay the rest to Jakaw of
Nawngpayen after completion of sale.

"As it was the day the Thais went to the polls for their
senatorial elections, few knew what was taking place at
the border," said the source, a border-runner.

Prices vary inside, S.H.A.N. was told. The following is
the list S.H.A.N. received from him.

Nakawngmu - B. 11

Nawngpayen - B. 10 - 11.50

Hoyawd/ Hopang - B. 9.50 - 10

Monghsat - B. 9.50

SHAN: OPIUM PRICES STILL ON THE RISE

No: 3 - 9

Informed sources from the border told S.H.A.N. that price
of opium is reaching its peak during the last week.

The price of opium which began at B.24,000 per viss in
January is now B. 28,000 - 30,000 according to source who
visited Nakawngmu, roughly halfway between Mongton and
BP-1 and now dubbed as the biggest drug market in the
area.

The other markets are Nawngpayen and Hoyawd, both between
Monghsat and Mongton, and Monghsat.

The price of heroin however is climbing down from B.
290,000 per jin (700 gram) to B. 281,000 in Nakawngmu and
Nawngpayen, B. 275,000 in Hoyawd and B. 274,000 in
Monghsat. "It is still a cash-on-delivery basis, so
people are happy," said a source.

But sources also agree that the price of raw opium is due
to come down soon with the expected invasion of the
latest crop which is currently being harvested.

"All these are happening under the blessings of the local
Burmese commanders," they said.

Dissident groups from the Shan States and Karenni had
issued a press release on 16 February urging all agencies
concerned about drugs to engage directly with the people
instead of Rangoon.

MTBR: DAIWA SECURITIES BOSS IN YANGON

The Myanmar Times & Business Review
(Myanmar's first international weekly Journal)
March 6-12, 2000, Volume 1, No.1, Page-6

Yangon-23 Feb- Minister for Finance and Revenue U Khin
Maung Thein met Chairman of Daiwa Securities Group of
Japan Mr. Sadakane Doi and party 15 February. The Daiwa
Securities Welfare Foundation also donated US$5000 to the
School for the Blind (Kyimyindine).

SCMP: MESSING ABOUT ON THE IRRAWADDY

Wednesday, March 15, 2000

TRAVEL

NATALIE HAWKINS

It was a desire to discover more about the people that
took us on the ferry from Mandalay to Bagan down the
Irrawaddy River. There are two ferries that run that
particular route, the "tourist" ferry and the local boat.
The local ferry is slower, departs at some ungodly hour
of the morning and makes numerous stops en route, but we
were assured it was by far the best way to travel for a
real experience of Burmese people and a glimpse into
their lifestyle. It sounded perfect.

Mandalay pier, 4.30 am: We board the Ponapyan ferry in
the pre-dawn quiet, stepping over the prone bodies of the
locals who chose to sleep on deck the night before.

The boat gradually comes alive as the silvery grey sky
shimmers and allows streaks of pale pink sun to creep
through. We are seated in comfortable rattan chairs,
deckside, and are in prime position to view the sunrise.
The highlands of Mandalay provide the backdrop as we pull
away and begin to travel down the Irrawaddy.

The river opens before us, wide and peaceful, and the
ferry makes slow but easy progress downstream.
Subsistence farmers go about their daily lives on the
banks of the river that stretches a remarkable 1,600
kilometres from the Himalayas to the Andaman Sea.
Fishermen calmly cast their wide nets from the shore with
balletic grace; women clad in colourful wraps pound their
washing on the rocks, their children ducking and diving
in the shallow waters around their feet.

On board, everyone is wide awake. The canteen,
essentially two old men with wide spontaneous grins and a
pot of boiling water, do a roaring trade, providing
steaming bowls of noodles. The children brush their teeth
and the women brush each other's thick black hair, tying
them in elaborate designs entwined with fresh flowers.

The first of our stops is Minimu, a scene of utter chaos.
The boat echoes with the cries of women selling their
wares. Trading takes place across the lower deck to the
shallow water off-shore, and as business picks up and
gets more frenzied, women wade waist-deep into the river
to get closer to the ferry to push their bounty. Slices
of ripe watermelons
sit on an open basket balanced precariously on the head
of a woman screaming for business. Bread, biscuits, fruit
and a variety of other foodstuffs are exchanged over the
murky water as passengers shuffle on and off the boat
across a ricketty wooden plank, and immense crates of
cargo, mostly bananas, are loaded into the hold.

The scenery has changed so naturally from the wide river
full of fishing boats just outside of Mandalay, to palm
fronds lining the paddy fields where the women walk one
behind the other, their clothes vibrant splashes of
colour against the lush green of the fields.

Locals mix with tourists on the ferry and the women are
forthright in bringing over their baskets of blankets and
fabrics to sell or trade. Their sales techniques range
from tactful persuasion to outright bullying, but it is
all taken in fun. The designs are wonderfully geometric
and colourful, but too bulky for our load.

We, as tourists, are not just regarded as consumers by
the locals, particularly as the government does all it
can to regulate the spending of foreign dollars. On this
journey we are also sources of amusement.

The scenery catches our attention again, a reminder of
our progress down this famous river. Tall rushes at the
water's edge and the dugouts tied loosely to a half-
collapsed pier indicate that further inland lies a
village. As we round a bend wafts of smoke rise into the
air, far away in the jungle. An excited mother gathers
her belongings and children and
squeals with anticipation at her husband waiting to meet
her.

Part of the joy of the day is the interaction with the
locals - a genuine exploration and appreciation of each
other's backgrounds. Food is shared between us and the
boundaries come down and the initial awkwardness of
conversation and broken English disappears.

Twelve hours have slipped by, a relaxing and entertaining
journey. Over the course of the day most of the locals
have disembarked at the five or six waterside village
stops en route to Bagan. The sun shifts lower as we
approach our destination and still the remaining locals
persist in trying to sell their goods. Lipstick seems to
be equivalent of hard currency for them, as are most
Western goods, and out of the corner of
my eye, I see a fellow traveller pull off his shirt and
sandals in a last-minute trade for a bundle of goods.

The view has been consistently green on the way, with
palm trees and small thatched houses, but the landscape
changes as we approach the old city of Bagan. No longer
do we see the sloping sandy riverbanks. Instead there are
cliff-like rocks that jut rudely out of the waters,
covered with isolated pagodas and stupas.

The promise of further discovery lies here in Bagan. The
time has been memorable and we disembark, happy to have
experienced travel where the journey has been as profound
as the destination.

___________________ INTERNATIONAL _____________________

MTBR: ABANDON SANCTIONS CALL AS US CONTENDERS BID FOR
VOTES

The Myanmar Times & Business Review
(Myanmar's first international weekly Journal)
March 6-12, 2000, Volume 1, No.1, Page-3

MYANMAR'S status with the United States is under the
spotlight as the US presidential campaign gets serious.
The leading candidates - Democrats Bill Bradley and A1
Gore, and Republicans George W. Bush and John McCain, are
now scrambling to define their foreign policy positions.

The campaign debate over sanctions is of particular
interest in
Myanmar where Washington imposed a unilateral ban on new
investment in May 1997.

Despite efforts by Washington to garner international
support, no other countries have joined the US, leading
to criticism that the policy is strategically ineffectual
and a diplomatic flop.

The Clinton Administration justified the sanctions by
saying that Myanmar was "an unusual and extraordinary
threat to the security of the United States" - a comment
widely ridiculed at the time, for obvious reasons and the
sanctions continue to be renewed every six months despite
no clear evidence that they are improving American
security.

The United States also ended bilateral aid in 1988, and
in 1996 it banned travel to the United States by Myanmar
officials.

Sanctions legislation by individual states , known as
"selective purchasing laws " is currently being debated
in the US Supreme Court.

In reference to the sanctions imposed on Myanmar, a
Yangon official close to Myanmar Times said: "No
sanctions against any country have ever worked and they
are unlikely to do so in the future as well.

"Only certain sections of the people, especially the most
marginalised, fall victim to such moves, and not the
ruling class, which the move seems to aim at."

This has been pointed out nation threat to the  American
security, he said Myanmar's armed forces existed
primarily for defence purposes and that a build-up of the
military was not aimed at preparing for war but to keep
itself in a better position to maintain peace in the
region in particular, and, the world at large.

"We strictly adhere to the five principles of peaceful
coexistence," he said.

Sanctions are being discussed so much now partly because
they have become a central weapon in the Clinton
Administration's foreign-policy arsenal.

Since 1993, Washington has imposed economic sanctions
nearly 70 times, on more than 35 nations. That's as many
as in the previous 40 years, despite scant evidence that
they work.

According to a study by the institute of international
Economics in Washington less than one-fourth of sanctions
imposed by all nations have successfully achieved their
goals.

Economic sanctions were once hailed as a benign tool of
diplomacy, but today they bring along with them a huge
human cost. This has been pointed out time and time again
by a growing number of international observers.

Some, like UN Secretary General Kofi Annan, have become
vociferous critics of  sanctions, noting that their
effects are usually felt most by the poor in any targeted
country.

Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter drove that point home
in remarks to the National Geographic Society in
Washington in January: "I think in every instance where
we have sustained sanctions, they are counter
productive," he said, adding that sanctions against Iraq
"hurt the people severely...it*s really shocking to look
at the World Health Organization and the United Nation*s
statistics of the instance of diease and the shortened
life expectancy of the children of Iraq."

The way to bring about positive change, Carter said "is
to abandon our sanctions and let there be free trade,
free visitation, then give them the food and medicine
they need and let them see the advantages of trading with
us and then maybe we can open their eyes to what freedom
and democracy really mean." So how do the candidates
stand on sanctions?

Whether it makes more sense to isolate countries, or to
bring them into the world economy through "constructive
engagement" is a big issue for many Americans. Asked
about that at a speech in Boston a few months ago,
Democrat Bill Bradley said it made sense to use debt
relief aid and international institutions like the
International Monetary Fund.

Economic development is key to social justice, he said,
adding that he supported "bringing countries into the
international economic system in ways that would allow
them to have higher economic growth and bring more people
into the middle class.

Republican George W. Bush, after an embarrassing quiz
last year by a television journalist in which he failed
to identify a number of global leaders, has been trying
to define his foreign policy positions beyond the buzz
phrase of "distinctly American internationalism."

Like Bradley, Bush also believes that economic
development leads to better societies. "I view free trade
as an important ally in what Ronald Reagan called 'a
forward strategy for freedom.'

Perhaps the most knowledgeable candidate on foreign
affairs is
Republican John McCain, a former prisoner during the
Vietnam war. Known for his pragmatic and well-informed
foreign policy positions, McCain has assembled a high-
powered team of advisors including Zbigniew Brzezinski,
Jeane Kirkpatrick, Larry Eagleburger and Henry Kissinger.

The candidates of the two major parties will be chosen at
conventions this summer.

TANJUG: FOREIGN MINISTER'S TRIP TO MYANMAR, LAOS, N.
KOREA

BELGRADE TANJUG

03/12/2000

    BELGRADE, 12 March (Tanjug) -- Many times since
taking office Yugoslav Foreign Minister Zivadin Jovanovic
has stressed that one of the most important tasks of
diplomacy was to pave the way for the Yugoslav economy
and secure markets for our products, construction firms.

    That important job was also evident during the recent
visit of the Yugoslav foreign minister to Asian
countries.

     Jovanovic paid official visits to the Democratic
People's Republic of Korea, the Myanmar Union (former
Burma) and to the People's Democratic Republic of Laos,
with stop-overs in Beijing and in Jakarta, when economic
links were among the central topics of discussions with
his hosts.

     The talks in Pyongyang, Yangun and Vientiane were an
opportunity to get to know better the economic
development of the three countries.

     Just as Yugoslavia, in the rebuilding of the country
after NATO's aggression (March-June 1999), the three
countries also rely primarily on their own forces, but
are ready to cooperate will everyone in the world who
accept them as equal partners.

     "I expect that contacts and talks of relevant bodies
and businessmen will follow that will give concrete form
to our agreements," Jovanovic said upon return to
Belgrade.

     Diplomacy has done its part, the rest is up to
businessmen.

    Myanmar registers a growth rate of 7-8 percent and
has 14 free industrial zones.   It is one of rare
developing countries that also exports food.

    The president of the state council for peace and
development of the Myanmar Union Gen.  Tan Shwe stressed
in talks with Minister Jovanovic that his state "wishes
to use in its development Yugoslav technology."

     Yugoslav products have been present on the market of
Burma for 30 years already, and there are now new
opportunities for business for the factory of railway
carriages, of Kraljevo, the factory of cables of
Jagodina, for the firm Minel, the machine and appliances
industries and the ship-building industry.

    ...In all those countries, a part of the talks was
devoted to creating or updating the legal frameworks for
facilitating mutual economic cooperation.

     Such initiatives of the Yugoslav side have met with
approval, because with all these countries there is a
traditional friendship, trust, years of joint activities
in the UN and in the nonaligned movement, to what the
current visits have given a new impetus.

     It was with sincere respect that admiration and
support was expressed, as the hosts said, for the heroism
of Yugoslavs in the defense of freedom and independence.
All these countries have had since the beginning of the
crisis in the territory of the former SFRY a consistent
and principled stand and they share the position of
Yugoslavia about the double standards of the West in
relation to separatism, about the
unacceptable abuse of human rights in order to impose
someone else's interests and the importance of preserving
the principles of the sovereignty of states.

[Description of Source: state-owned news agency; reflects
views of Milosevic regime]

BANGKOK POST: FLOOD OF SPEED PILLS FROM BURMA EXPECTED
THIS
YEAR

March 16, 2000

Anucha Charoenpo
An estimated 600 million methamphetamine pills, produced
in Burma, will find their way into all parts of Thailand
this year, a deputy commissioner of the Narcotics
Suppression Bureau said yesterday.
"Burma has a policy of concentrating its ethnic minority
groups along the border to speed up the production of
methamphetamines, especially this year," Pol Maj-Gen
Inthadej Pornpiraphan said.
Intelligence information revealed the drug was being
produced by as many as 55 factories along the border.
Each refinery had the capacity to produce about one
million pills a month. Thailand could be flooded by about
600 million methamphetamine tablets this year, he warned.
Pol Maj-Gen Inthadej called on anti-drug agencies to
concentrate on solving the problem, since methamphetamine
pills were being widely used by Thai youths and
schoolchildren.
Earlier this year, the Burmese junta announced the
relocation of Wa and Ko Kang ethnic groups from their
homes in the northern Shan State to areas adjacent to the
northern Thai border.
Pol Maj-Gen Inthadej said the area would soon become a
major drug-producing centre since these groups knew
nothing but growing opium.

BLOOMBERG: `BURMA AND THE ART OF LACQUER' EXHIBIT OPENS
AT BRITISH MUSEUM

Wed, 15 Mar 2000, 4:00pm EST

By Vincent Sgro
Bloomberg Lifestyles

London, March 9 -- A magnificent collection of Burmese
lacquerware given to the British Museum will go on view
April 8 at the London cultural institution.

The gift of Mr. and Mrs. R. Isaacs of their collection
has created the opportunity for museum visitors to
explore the history and culture of Burma from the 18th-
20th centuries through the art of lacquer.

Lacquer, the sap of a tree and tapped like rubber, can be
used in a wide variety of ways. In Burma, almost alls
aspects of life were affected by it.

This major exhibition will cover Buddhist sculpture and
manuscripts, Burmese music, theatre, medicine, warfare
and architecture, and the habit of chewing the betel nut.

The Isaacs Collection will form the core of the
exhibition, complemented by loans from both national and
regional collections.

The exhibition will run through Aug. 13.

A fully illustrated catalog will accompany the exhibition
and be available in the museum's gift shop.

The British Museum is located on Great Russell Street in
London. Hours are 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Saturday and
noon-6 p.m. Sunday.

The British Museum, founded in 1753, contains world-
famous collections of antiquities from Egypt, Western
Asia, Greece and Rome, as well as prehistoric and Romano-
British, Medieval, Renaissance, Modern and Oriental
collections; prints and drawings; coins, medals and
banknotes.

For more information, visit the museum's Web site at
http://www.british-museum.ac.uk.

You can also contact BurmaNet by phone or fax:

Voice mail +1 (435) 304-9274
Fax +1 (810)454-4740