Aung San Suu Kyi to defy junta ban

Aung San Suu Kyi to defy junta ban on travel outside Yangon

AFP, Rangoon, 15 September 2000. Myanmar opposition leader
Aung San Suu Kyi said Friday she would make a trip outside Yangon
within the next few days in defiance of the ruling military junta's ban
on travel outside the capital.

"As I'm not legally restricted in any way we have decided that it is
time for us to make this clear. I shall travel outside Rangoon (Yangon)
within the next few days," the Nobel peace laureate said.

"This will be an organised trip and will be done openly," she said to the
cheers of 300 supporters outside the National League for Democracy
headquarters here.