[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index ][Thread Index ]

Opposition radio says arrested Demo

BBC Summary of World Broadcasts
November 02, 2000, Thursday


Opposition radio says arrested Democracy League members tortured

Source: Democratic Voice of Burma, Oslo, in Burmese 1245 gmt 30 Oct 00

Text of report by Burmese opposition radio on 30th October

DVB [Democratic Voice of Burma] has learned that the National League
for Democracy [NLD] headquarters remains open till today. Diplomats in
Rangoon said that although earlier reports indicated that the house
owners have terminated the lease NLD headquarters has remained open
and NLD members and office staff are seen functioning their duties.
It has been learned that at the moment the NLD headquarters has been
run by Thakin Khin Nyunt and former Col Maung Maung Gyi. They have
been taking charge of the headquarters since 22nd September when Daw
Aung San Suu Kyi and some NLD members were not allowed to travel to
Mandalay and kept under house arrest. According to latest reports received
by DVB, the two caretakers were taken in for questioning at least three times
and were also threatened not to go to NLD Headquarters anymore. A
Rangoon-based diplomat is said to have met U Maung Maung Gyi at the NLD
Headquarters on Friday and noted that the office is functionally normally.

According to latest reports DVB has learned that NLD members who sent
Daw Suu off at Rangoon central railway station have been detained at
Insein Jail and tortured every night. They were taken in groups of three or 
persons and mocked if you wanted to take a train ride you can and were
ordered to make the noise of a moving train continuously by mouth. They
were then beaten and tortured again and again saying the noise of the train
is either too soft or too loud. That went on for the entire night.

NLD Central Women Committee members Daw Le Le, Daw Myint Myint
Sein, Daw Khin Saw Nu, and Daw Mar Mar Swe were taken from Rangoon
Central Railway Station for interrogation first to Ye Kyi Aing [Military
Intelligence detention centre]. They were then transferred to Insein Central
Jail. According to latest reports, Daw Myint Myint Sein's health is failing.