Burmese officials on 9-day visit

The Asian Age (New Delhi)
November 3, 2000

New Delhi, Nov.2: At the invitation of the Union home minister Lal
Krishna Advani, his counter part form Burma Colonel Tin Hlaing is on a
nine day visit to India from November 1.

He is accompanied by the director general (administration department and
policy) Aung Thein and director (international relations, law
enforcement department) Lieutenant Colonel Kham Aung.

During his visit Colonel Hlaing will meet the home minister, minister
for external affairs, defence minister and minister of state for
personnel and pension. His itinerary includes visit to Calcutta, Bodh
Gaya, Agra, Hydeerabad and Bangalore. He will also visit the Narcotics
Training Centre at Faridabad, NSG Training Centre at Manesar, Central
Forensic Science Laboratory and National Police Academy at Hyderabad and
Indian Space Research Organisation at Bangalore.

A home ministry spokesperson said ?India and Myanmar have in recent
years forged close cooperation on matters of mutual interest
particularly those relating to our security concerns. The visit ? will
further strengthen co-operation between our two countries, which would
ensure peace and tranquility in the border areas and promote economic
activity.?