[freeburma] THE RESIGNATION OF UN H

Dear Dr U Ne Oo,

I don't think the resignation of the Special Rapporteur will have much impact
on the current Burma resolution at the General Assembly. The Swedish diplomat
drafting the resolution received the advance copy of the Special
Rapporteur's report
mid- September, and Judge Lallah's findings were incorporated into the draft
several weeks ago. Besides, the resolution had already been tabled before the
announcement  of his resignation was made.  What is important now is that the
next Special Rapporteur to be appointed by the Commission on Human  Rights
is a good strong one.

Regarding the general question of UN resolutions on Burma,  the NCGUB and
friends have
done a very fine professional job over most of the past decade, bringing
delegations to Geneva
and New York for every session. They have worked with the diplomats to get
the strongest
language possible into the text. Any weaknesses in language are due to the
limitation of the
powers and mandate of the General Assembly and Commission on Human Rights
-- there are
things that these bodies are not empowered to do -- and the need to get
every State to agree
to the text, thus achieving what is called a "consensus resolution". As you
can imagine,  there
are several governments which might call for a vote if their suggestions
for more moderate language
were not accepted. Stronger language could certainly be included in
a  voted resolution, but
such a  resolution would have less moral and,  perhaps, political authority
since it can be
argued that  a voted resolution is not the voice of  the whole of
the  international  community
whereas a  consensus text certainly is. Still, in my view, the language is
strong, and
has been getting stronger every year. Credit for this can be given to Dr
Sein Win and team, the
Special Rapporteur, the diplomats and, not least, the SLORC/SPDC human
rights record which
gets worse every year.

Yours sincerely,

David Arnott, Geneva