Myanmar allays India's fears

--------------7CC3EB44911127A696F87246

          Myanmar allays India's fears

The Times of India (New Delhi)
November 21, 2000

The Times of India News Service

NEW DELHI: Myanmar foreign minister Win Aung, wrapping up a week-long
visit here on Monday, laid to rest New Delhi's anxiety about Chinese
military activity in the Coco islands. Primarily it was security
concerns that led to a re-think of India's position on Myanmar.

``I want to tell the Indian public that any island in my country, or
Myanmar's soil, will not be used as a military base by any power against
India,'' Win told reporters.

India has long been suspicious of China's increasing naval presence in
that country. There were fears that the facilities granted to China by
Myanmar could be used for naval urveillance. Some felt that China could
use the Coco Islands as missile pads against specific Indian targets.
There has never been any real evidence to prove any of these suspicions,
but fears persisted.

Win Aung said defence minister George Fernandes had also raised the
issue of Chinese presence in the Coco Islands when Myanmar's home
minister was in Delhi, and                    the minister had given a
similar assurance.

Speaking of Aung San Suu Kyi, Win said the junta had nothing against her
personally. ``We want to free her, the time will come to do that. We
hope it will not be long.''                    But he refused to give a
definite time frame. He said some foreign diplomats posted in Myanmar
used their immunity to stir trouble in his country. ``We don't
want                    this kind of interference in our country.''

Yangon seems particularly pleased with the warm welcome extended to
General Maung Aye and his high-level delegation to India. ``We have been
isolated for many years because of internal problems in our country, we
are still struggling to overcome these,'' Win admitted. ``We welcome the
fact that the gap in high-level contacts which had stopped in 1987 has
been resumed.''

The foreign minister said that General Maung has invited President
Narayanan to visit Myanmar. He said he was delighted that the
President's wife was from his country.

--------------7CC3EB44911127A696F87246

visit here on Monday, laid to rest New Delhi's anxiety about Chinese military
activity in the Coco islands. Primarily it was security concerns that led
to a re-think of India's position on Myanmar.
Myanmar's soil, will not be used as a military base by any power against
India,'' Win told reporters.
in that country. There were fears that the facilities granted to China
by Myanmar could be used for naval urveillance. Some felt that China could
use the Coco Islands as missile pads against specific Indian targets. There
has never been any real evidence to prove any of these suspicions, but
fears persisted.
issue of Chinese presence in the Coco Islands when Myanmar's home minister
was in Delhi, and&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
the minister had given a similar assurance.
her personally. ``We want to free her, the time will come to do that. We
hope it will not be long.''&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
But he refused to give a definite time frame. He said some foreign diplomats
posted in Myanmar used their immunity to stir trouble in his country. ``We
don't want&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;