Mizzima: Manipur CM warns of Chines

--------------D0C54187A4283B36DF31AAF1

             Manipur CM warns of Chinese control over Burma

New Delhi, March 6, 2001
Mizzima News Group (www.mizzima.com)

The new Chief Minister of Manipur State Mr. Radhabinod Koijam has
requested the central Government in Delhi to timely check the growing
Chinese economic influence in Burma and warned that India may suffer
economically in long term if failed to check.

?During the Chief Ministers? meeting in New Delhi on 3rd March, I said
that China is overrunning the economy of Myanmar (Burma) with its goods
flooding the Myanmar market. The central government should try to get
Indian market to Myanmar. If we neglect this, we may suffer economically
in long term?, said Mr. Koijam who ended his visit to Delhi this
morning.

Speaking on telephone from Imphal, capital of Manipur State, he said,
?Tamu (border town of Burma) is flourishing with trade activities
whereas our border town Moreh (in Manipur) is dying down?, adding that
?a large number of illegal firearms and narcotics are coming across the
border from Myanmar and our boys are effected by these?.

He also met the Prime Minister Atal Behari Vajpayee in New Delhi last
Friday.

Mr. Koijam heads the newly formed Samata Party-led coalition government
in Manipur State, which is bordering with Burma. The present Indian
defence minister Mr. George Fernandes, known for his sympathy for
Burmese pro-democracy activists in India, is the founder chief of the
Samata Party.

--------------D0C54187A4283B36DF31AAF1

Koijam has requested the central Government in Delhi to timely check the
growing Chinese economic influence in Burma and warned that India may suffer
economically in long term if failed to check.</font>
March, I said that China is overrunning the economy of Myanmar (Burma)
with its goods flooding the Myanmar market. The central government should
try to get Indian market to Myanmar. If we neglect this, we may suffer
economically in long term?, said Mr. Koijam who ended his visit to Delhi
this morning.</font>
State, he said, ?Tamu (border town of Burma) is flourishing with trade
activities whereas our border town Moreh (in Manipur) is dying down?, adding
that ?a large number of illegal firearms and narcotics are coming across
the border from Myanmar and our boys are effected by these?.</font>
New Delhi last Friday.</font>
government in Manipur State, which is bordering with Burma. The present
Indian defence minister Mr. George Fernandes, known for his sympathy for
Burmese pro-democracy activists in India, is the founder chief of the Samata
Party.</font>

--------------D0C54187A4283B36DF31AAF1--