Mizzima: Burmese women visits Tibet

--------------5CDB4BABE4B56C9FD47C688A

         Burmese women visits Tibetan headquarters in Dharamsala

Dharamsala, June 6, 2001
Mizzima News Group (www.mizzima.com)

For the first time, exiled Burmese women activists visited the
headquarters of the Tibetan Government in exile at Dharamsala in
Himachel Pradesh of India and exchanged experiences with the Tibetan
women activists. At the invitation of the Tibetan Women?s Association
(TWA), six leaders of India-based Women Rights and Welfare Association
of Burma (WRWAB) visited the Tibetan establishments in Dharamsala from
June 4-6.

During the three-day visit, the Burmese women visited the various places
of the Tibetans? headquarters including the Reception Center for newly
arrived Tibetan refugees, Tibetan Children?s Villages (TCV), Tibetan
Institute for Performing Arts, Tibetan Museum, Tibetan Medical &
Astrological Institute and Stitches of Tibet.

?We are very glad to host the Burmese women delegates. Through these
exchange visits, we hope to strengthen the friendship between Tibetan
and Burmese sisters and hope to promote extending support and solidarity
each other?, said Mrs. Dolkar Lhamo, president of Tibetan Women?s
Association.

TWA was originally founded in Tibet on March 12, 1959, a day after the
national uprising of March 10, 1959 against the Chinese occupation of
Tibet. The organization was reinstated in 1984 by Tibetan women in exile
with the main objective of raising public awareness about the abuses
faced by Tibetan women in Chinese-occupied Tibet. The central office
being situated in Dharamsala, it has now 40 branches all over the world
with more than ten thousands members. It also places great priority on
the contributions of Tibetan women towards the preservation and
promotion of the distinct religion, culture, and identity of the Tibetan
people. ?Women in Tibet are double oppressed. First they are oppressed
being Tibetans and secondly they are oppressed being women? added Mrs.
Dolkar Lhamo.

During the visit, the Burmese women delegates also met the Tibetan women
Members of Parliament and visited the Tibetan parliament in session.
?Out of 46 members in the Assembly of Tibetan Peoples? Deputies in
exile, there are at present ten women parliamentarians, with more than
20% of the parliamentarian seats held by women?, explained Mrs. Dolkar
Lhamo, a Member of Parliament herself.

?It was a great opportunity for all of us as we learnt many things from
the vast experiences of Tibetan women activists. In the three-days, we
also explained about the situation of Burmese women, our activities and
Burma?s democratic movement to the Tibetan friends and sisters. They
support our movement as well?, said Daw Molly, president of WRWAB at the
end of the visit.

Following the Chinese occupation of Tibet in 1949, His Holiness the
Dalai Lama escaped to India and formed the government in exile to carry
out the struggle of Tibetan people against the Chinese occupation. Due
to the continued Chinese occupation and human rights abuses in their
homeland, about two hundred Tibetans continue to escape to India every
month through Nepal. There are estimated one lakh and thirty thousands
Tibetans living as refugees in various parts of India.

--------------5CDB4BABE4B56C9FD47C688A

the headquarters of the Tibetan Government in exile at Dharamsala in Himachel
Pradesh of India and exchanged experiences with the Tibetan women activists.
At the invitation of the Tibetan Women?s Association (TWA), six leaders
of India-based Women Rights and Welfare Association of Burma (WRWAB) visited
the Tibetan establishments in Dharamsala from June 4-6.</font>
the various places of the Tibetans? headquarters including the Reception
Center for newly arrived Tibetan refugees, Tibetan Children?s Villages
(TCV), Tibetan Institute for Performing Arts, Tibetan Museum, Tibetan Medical
&amp; Astrological Institute and Stitches of Tibet.</font>
Through these exchange visits, we hope to strengthen the friendship between
Tibetan and Burmese sisters and hope to promote extending support and solidarity
each other?, said Mrs. Dolkar Lhamo, president of Tibetan Women?s Association.</font>
a day after the national uprising of March 10, 1959 against the Chinese
occupation of Tibet. The organization was reinstated in 1984 by Tibetan
women in exile with the main objective of raising public awareness about
the abuses faced by Tibetan women in Chinese-occupied Tibet. The central
office being situated in Dharamsala, it has now 40 branches all over the
world with more than ten thousands members. It also places great priority
on the contributions of Tibetan women towards the preservation and promotion
of the distinct religion, culture, and identity of the Tibetan people.
?Women in Tibet are double oppressed. First they are oppressed being Tibetans
and secondly they are oppressed being women? added Mrs. Dolkar Lhamo.</font>
the Tibetan women Members of Parliament and visited the Tibetan parliament
in session. ?Out of 46 members in the Assembly of Tibetan Peoples? Deputies
in exile, there are at present ten women parliamentarians, with more than
20% of the parliamentarian seats held by women?, explained Mrs. Dolkar
Lhamo, a Member of Parliament herself.</font>
many things from the vast experiences of Tibetan women activists. In the
three-days, we also explained about the situation of Burmese women, our
activities and Burma?s democratic movement to the Tibetan friends and sisters.
They support our movement as well?, said Daw Molly, president of WRWAB
at the end of the visit.</font>
Holiness the Dalai Lama escaped to India and formed the government in exile
to carry out the struggle of Tibetan people against the Chinese occupation.
Due to the continued Chinese occupation and human rights abuses in their
homeland, about two hundred Tibetans continue to escape to India every
month through Nepal. There are estimated one lakh and thirty thousands
Tibetans living as refugees in various parts of India.</font>

--------------5CDB4BABE4B56C9FD47C688A--