BurmaNet News: September 5, 2001

______________ THE BURMANET NEWS ______________
        An on-line newspaper covering Burma
           September 5, 2001   Issue # 1878
______________ www.burmanet.org _______________

INSIDE BURMA _______
*National Post (Canada) Myanmar junta's airport a great white
elephant--Mandalay International
*The Irrawaddy: Junta Prepares for ILO Visit
*DVB : Ethnic groups "trust" Suu Kyi but seek to solve their own
problems

MONEY _______
*AFP: US underwear firm halts Myanmar production
*Xinhua: Myanmar Produces Less Crude Oil in First Four Months

DRUGS______
*AP: Thailand will host the first drug summit by the end of the year
*Deutsche Presse-Agentur : Thailand offers Myanmar assistance for
suppressing drug production
*South China Morning Post: Junta leader accepts smuggling intolerable

REGIONAL/INTERNATIONAL _______
*BBC: Burma and Thailand seek closer ties
*AP: Myanmar No. 3 general visits Thaksin's satellite station
*Bangkok Post: Old foes now best of  friends - Khin Nyunt feted on board
luxury boat
*The Irrawaddy: S1 Comes to Bangkok

EDITORIALS/OPINION/PROPAGANDA________
*Going Places: Myanmar
*Letter to the Editor, Going Places--?support for one of the world's
most cruel and illegitimate governments is indefensible

__________________ INSIDE BURMA ____________________

National Post (Canada) Myanmar junta's airport a great white
elephant--Mandalay International

September 4, 2001

Nicole Veash
National Post

The new, state-of-the-art Mandalay International Airport has everything
an airport needs, except business.

MANDALAY, Myanmar - When Rudyard Kipling wrote about the "road to
Mandalay," he conjured up an exotic land of pagodas and temple wind
chimes. Today, travellers are greeted by an altogether more surreal
sight.

In a desolate landscape of parched farmland, under the intense Burmese
sun, stands a gleaming state-of-the-art airport that puts stylish,
modern terminals in the developed world to shame.

However, Mandalay International Airport has encountered a few unforeseen
hiccups: a bumpy runway, few passengers and no foreign flights.

This great white elephant of an airport is the latest vanity project
undertaken by Myanmar's ruling military junta.

The unelected government-- an international pariah because of its
appalling human rights record and refusal to recognize democracy leader
Aung San Suu Kyi -- has sunk US$150-million into building the airport,
which it had hoped to recuperate by attracting hordes of foreign
visitors.

The only trouble is that the airport is a no-go zone for large airplanes
such as 747s, used to fly internationally, because the runway is not
flat enough for the jets to land safely.

Even if they could, it is doubtful whether tourists would be queuing up
to go to Myanmar anyway.

Conscientious travellers have voted with their feet not to visit the
beautiful Golden Land, as it is known. They are unwilling to contribute
to the junta's coffers by providing it with hard currency -- on arrival,
visitors have to change a mandatory US$200 into "tourist money," known
as Foreign Exchange Certificates. Last year, just 240,000 tourists
visited Myanmar, a drop of 14% from 1999.

This boycott poses a problem for Mandalay International Airport. More
than an hour's drive from the historic city in northern Myanmar, it is
standing empty apart from about three domestic flights each day.

It has everything an international airport requires. A spacious parking
lot, landscaped grounds, clocks showing time zones across the world and
stacks of baggage trolleys.

But it is deserted. The check-in desks are closed and as pristine as the
day they were installed, as are the six baggage conveyor belts. The
security guards sit around twiddling their thumbs because no one is
going through the X-ray machines and staff in Café Kipling have no
customers to serve their dry-as-cardboard snacks.

Apart from the problems with the runway, the level of engineering used
to build this startlingly modern airport is quite something. Built
around a central glass atrium, the airport is light, airy and
architecturally appealing.

Its designers have avoided the blandness that afflicts many airports
around the world by building the roof in the style of a typical Burmese
pagoda.

Leading up to this airport in the middle of nowhere is a new but
deserted two-lane highway. Newly tarmacked, it stretches for kilometres
and rarely sees traffic, let alone jams.

"[Myanmar's] junta is still hoping that jumbo jets full of big-spending
tourists and businessmen are going to be winging their way into Mandalay
airport from Europe and Japan," said Anthony Davis, a regional analyst
who has spent 20 years writing on Asia for publications such as Jane's
Intelligence. "The only thing to say about this is, 'Dream on,
generals,' because it ain't going to happen."

The junta's attempts to attract more foreign visitors with such
megaprojects as Mandalay airport are due in part to its mismanagement of
the country's economy.

Myanmar is facing its biggest financial crisis in recent years, with
inflation rising sharply and the prices of some consumer goods
increasing 100% in the past few months.

A British colony until 1948, resource-rich Myanmar was once among the
most developed countries in the region. Before the Second World War, it
was the world's biggest rice supplier.

However, after the assassination of independence leader General Aung
San, father of Ms. Suu Kyi, in 1947, the country has effectively been
ruled by an unelected military junta.

The Irrawaddy: Junta Prepares for ILO Visit

By Maung Maung Oo

September 4, 2001Burmas military government has ordered administrative
bodies throughout the country to take steps to ensure that an upcoming
inspection visit by International Labor Organization (ILO)
representatives yields positive results, according to sources inside
Burma. The four-member team led by Sir Ninian Stephen, a former chief
justice of the High Court of Australia, is expected to arrive in
mid-September to investigate the alleged continued use of forced labor
in the country.

Burmas Ministry of Home Affairs has ordered all township- and
division-level administrative offices to speed up an "awareness
campaign" in rural areas to prepare area residents for the visit of the
ILO inspection team. The visit marks the fourth time the ILO has come to
Burma to investigate the use of forced labor.

The campaign aims to educate local people about Bill 1/99, an order
issued by the Ministry of Home Affairs on May 14, 1999 that bans the use
of forced labor. Villagers will also be informed about a supplementary
bill issued in October 2000 that allows the government to call on
citizens to work for the country under certain circumstances, such as
during national security emergencies or natural disasters. The campaign
also seeks to instruct individuals on how they should respond to
questions from the ILO team, according to the source.

The government has also been circulating petitions in villages where the
ILO team is scheduled to visit. Each village has been instructed to have
at least eighty signatures on the petition, which states that the
villagers have never been forced to work against their will or without
pay.

"I dont really understand the meaning of forced labor, but whenever our
village headman asks us to work on army projects, we have to go and
work. I signed the sheet because they (village officials) told me I had
to sign it," said a villager in Bokpyin Township, Tenasserim Division.

Although the regime has been more circumspect about forcing civilians to
work on infrastructure projects or as military porters since the ILO
first warned it to end the practice in June 2000, reliable reports of
forced labor in remote areas continue to come out of the country.

In the Tenasserim Division townships of Ye and Bokpyin, for instance,
forced labor continues to be used in military construction projects and
land reclamation schemes, according to local residents.

"Every three months the military troops change their position and the
government catches people in Kawthaung and forces them to porter
supplies to the new positions," said a resident of Kawthaung, a port
city in southern Burma.

In preparation for the ILO visit, military forces in the Tenasserim
Division have been ordered not to use forced labor until after the team
has completed its inspection tour, according to local sources.

Meanwhile, in Rangoon the government has ordered textile companies to
fully cooperate with the ILO team in hopes of convincing the United
States to discard a Senate Bill that calls for new sanctions against
Burma. Garment exports to the US, last year valued at US$454 million, or
28.5% of all Burmese exports, would be hardest hit by Senate Bill 926,
which seeks to ban all US imports from Burma.

The regime also circulated petitions to be signed by garment workers,
asking the US government to rethink its proposed ban. An estimated
300,000 workers have signed the petitions.

DVB : Ethnic groups "trust" Suu Kyi but seek to solve their own problems

 http://www.dvb.no/scoop/

September 5, 2001

U Khun Tun Oo, chairman of the Shan Nationalities League for Democracy
(SNLD), has said that his group could not give National League for
Democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi full authority to negotiate on its
behalf because she would not have an in-depth understanding of its
situation. He said national race groups should be allowed to meet to
agree on a coordinated stance for negotiations as this would save time.
He added that the negotiating process seemed to be "on track" but urged
patience.

The following is an excerpt from report by DVB on 2 September.

DVB has learned that UN Special Envoy Mr Razali Ismail visited Rangoon
last week and remarked on talks between the SPDC and Daw Aung San Suu
Kyi. There were also views of diplomats, comments by observers, and
opinions from the opposition. It is a good sign that people are taking
an interest and talking about it since the talks will decide the future
of Burma. However, the voices of the real actors on the stage should be
well noted. DVB contacted one such person, U Khun Tun Oo, chairman of
the Shan Nationalities League for Democracy [SNLD], and interviewed him.
He is the leader of SNLD, the party that won the second highest number
of elected representatives, and has frequently met foreign diplomats,
including UN Special Envoy Mr Razali. DVB will now give a report of the
interview concerning the current talks, national races affairs, and the
future of the party.

[Ko Moe Aye] Just a day before Mr Razali arrived NLD Chairman U Aung
Shwe and Vice-Chairman U Tin Oo were released and later the NLD issued a
statement noting their complete trust in Daw Aung San Suu Kyi [NLD
general secretary] concerning the talks. What about the view of the
national race groups?

[Khun Tun Oo] Yes. We have absolutely no doubts. But then again, trust
and rights are two different things. We trust her but we cannot grant
her full authority because she might not know the real problems of the
national races. She will not understand their inner feelings, their
innermost thoughts, and their miseries. Only the national races know
their own problems because they have suffered and endured for so long.
As for us we would like to discuss our own affairs by ourselves and we
will strive to achieve that. We accept what Daw Suu has been doing and
we have no doubts whatsoever.

[Ko Moe Aye] Were the representatives of the national races allowed a
chance to discuss with Daw Aung San Suu Kyi as the talks progress?

[Khun Tun Oo] Well, frankly speaking, I ask Mr Razali for advice and he
said we should meet and discuss with the NLD and among ourselves so that
we will be prepared for any tripartite talks. I think the SPDC will be
more lenient and less restrictive of our goings and comings, meetings
among the national races, and meetings with the NLD.

[Ko Moe Aye] Do you mean there are restrictions on the national race
groups in meeting and holding talks with the NLD?

[Khun Tun Oo] There are no severe restrictions. Even if we cannot go
full-fledged we can at least send a representative from each party. Of
course at present we are unable to hold Central Executive Committee
[CEC]-level meetings.

[Ko Moe Aye] Are the national groups such as the Shan, Mon, and others
able freely to meet and discuss with each other?

[Khun Tun Oo] Yes. Our five groups always meet. That is the Shan, Mon,
Arakan, Chin, and Karen groups. We meet when the need arises, when there
are important matters, when foreign visitors come, and when matters
warrant...

[Ko Moe Aye] Recently the national race groups held a meeting on the
Thai-Burmese border. What about that situation?

[Khun Tun Oo] The national races issue is very important. There are many
categories of national race groups at present. There are national race
groups legally attending the National Convention; others like the Mon,
Arakan, and Chin groups that won seats in the election but where the
parties were later deregistered; the national races that have signed
cease-fire agreements with the government; there are national race
groups engaged in armed struggle; and then those that are on the other
side and active in the border areas. I think all the national race
groups should be given the opportunity to meet and hold talks among
themselves freely because when the time comes for a tripartite meeting
rather than all the groups saying all sort of different things at the
same time, they should find a common ground and act on a single
principle. It will not only shorten the time but there will be less to
talk about. There must also be proper means for the national groups to
select and send the delegation of their choice. That will speed up the
process...

[Ko Moe Aye] Some are commenting that many prominent political prisoners
still in prison like U Win Tin and Min Ko Naing, the student leader from
1988 mass demonstration, should be released. What is your opinion of
that?

[Khun Tun Oo] It is a very wide scope that we are looking at. Moreover,
the NLD is like our brother party and has the mandate so I think the NLD
will take the leading role regarding the political prisoners. Mr Razali
was informed that two or three from the MNDF [Mon National Democratic
Front] and U Aye Tha Aung and Ko Tha Ban from the Arakan party are
currently detained and to mediate for their release. I feel he will tell
that to the SPDC. We did ask for the release of political prisoners from
the national groups.

[Ko Moe Aye] Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's party also requested the freeing of
women and nationalities political prisoners first.

[Khun Tun Oo] That is good.

[Ko Moe Aye] Regarding the prevailing situation - the ongoing talks,
national reconciliation matters, to bring about tripartite talks, and to
hope for the success of the bipartite talks - and as a leader of a
national group, can you tell us about your resolution if there is any.

[Khun Tun Oo] In my view, everyone should be broadminded and should
proceed with patience. You cannot push it because the country's more
than four-decade-old problems will not be solved overnight. Furthermore,
the good thing I noticed is the gradual phasing-out process. The
prisoners are released on one side while the other side is reviewing the
economic sanctions and selective embargos. And then there is the
resumption of humanitarian assistance and others planned by UN and
UNICEF. Both sides are now in a give-and-take situation and I feel they
have started building confidence. If you noticed, plans to reconvene the
National Convention and calls for convening a People's Assembly have
become things of the past. By looking at the current situation you can
say that the process seems to be on track. Please be tolerant and
patient, and criticize with a constructive approach. That's all.

Source: Democratic Voice of Burma, Oslo, in Burmese 1430 gmt 2 Sep 01

______________________MONEY________________________

AFP: US underwear firm halts Myanmar production

WASHINGTON, Sept 4 (AFP) - Activists claimed a new victory in their
battle with Myanmar's generals on Tuesday, after a leader US vendor of
underwear pledged to halt production in the military-ruled country.

 "Sara Lee's Hanes licencees were caught with their pants down," said
Jeremy Woodrum, of the Free Burma Coalition.

 "But we commend Sara Lee for ending its support for Burma's military
regime by stopping its licencees from producing in Burma," he said,
using Myanmar's former name.

 Sara Lee Corporation, which makes underwear under various brands, is
the latest in a string of companies to pull out of Myanmar, which is
reviled by western governments for its suppression of a democracy
movement and its human rights record.

 FBC posted a condemnation of the firm on its website, after an
investigation found that some items manufactured under the Hanes Her Way
and Hanes University brands were made in Myanmar.

 In a letter released by FBC, company vice president and Chief Counsel
Melvin Ortner said the company probed the claims and found two licencees
were using Myanmar factories in direct violation of their contracts.

 "We have taken immediate steps with both licencees to confirm that
neither will make our product in Burma again," Ortner said.

 "Sara Lee looks forward to a time when positive political and human
rights changes in Burma allow us to reconsider our policy and provide
opportunities for Burmese citizens."

 The decision came three weeks after FBC posted information about Sara
Lee's imports on its website, and follows the decision of 15 other
US-based corporations including Wal-Mart and Costco to quit Myanmar.

 Myanmar's junta has been locked in a long battle with pro-democracy
activists and refused to recognise the sweeping 1990 election victory of
opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi.

Xinhua: Myanmar Produces Less Crude Oil in First Four Months

YANGON, September 4 (Xinhua) -- Myanmar produced a total of 1. 083
million barrels of crude oil in the first four months of this year,
11.95 percent less than the same period of 2000, according to the latest
data issued by the country's Central Statistical Organization. During
the four-month period, the country yielded 459.41 million cubic-meters
of natural gas, also falling by 10.3 percent from the corresponding
period of 2000. In 2000, the country produced 3.538 million barrels of
crude oil and 1.538 billion cubic-meters of natural gas.

Since Myanmar opened to foreign investment in late 1988, such investment
in the oil and gas sector coming from oil companies of Australia,
Britain, France, Indonesia, Japan, Thailand and the United States has
reached 2.355 billion dollars in 51 projects, taking up 32.2 percent of
the country's total contracted foreign investment by sector. So far,
Myanmar's petroleum and its products are insufficient to meet the demand
and the country still has to import over 2 million barrels of crude oil
along with a lot of petrol and diesel oil annually.

________________________DRUGS______________________

AP: Thailand will host the first drug summit by the end of the year

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) _ Thailand will host the first drug summit along
with China, Myanmar and Laos this year to plan for a joint war against
drug trafficking in the Golden Triangle.

 The summit will be held before the end of the year and will be attended
by the prime ministers of the four countries, Foreign Minister Surakiart
Sathirathai said.
 He was speaking to reporters after meeting with Lt. Gen. Khin Nyunt,
the visiting No. 3 general in Myanmar's ruling junta.

 Surakiart said Khin Nyunt reiterated Myanmar's commitment to help
Thailand in fighting the drug scourge. Also, China has urged the summit
be held as soon as possible, he said.

 ``It is time to make the idea (of the summit) a reality,'' he said.
 He said Khin Nyunt's comments show Myanmar's ``genuine efforts'' to
maintain friendly ties with Thailand.

 Thailand has long accused Myanmar of turning a blind eye to its drug
barons producing methamphetamines in autonomous areas near the border.
Much of the drugs comes into Thailand, which has declared
methamphetamines as public enemy No. 1.
 Disagreements between Thailand and Myanmar over drugs and other issues
including border disputes and illegal migrants led to brief clashes
between the armed forces of the two countries in February.

 But relations have warmed since a visit by Prime Minister Thaksin
Shinawatra to Myanmar in June, the first by a Thai government leader to
the military state in four years.

 Earlier Tuesday, Khin Nyunt visited _ amid tight security _ a satellite
station operated by Thaksin's telecommunications company, Shin Corp.

 Last month, Myanmar launched an English-language television channel
MRTV3 to present a ``true image'' of the country overseas, using
Thaicom-3, a satellite owned by Shin Corp.

 The media in Myanmar, also known as Burma, are either controlled or
censored by the government, which often complains that it gets biased
coverage from the foreign press by focusing on its political problems
and human rights record.

 On Monday, Defense Minister Chavalit Yongchaiyudh, a former army chief
with long-standing links to the Myanmar regime, hosted a three-hour
dinner cruise on Bangkok's Chao Phraya river for Khin Nyunt and his
32-member delegation.
 Thai and Myanmar officials enjoyed drinking whisky together and singing
songs, although Khin Nyunt appeared a reserved man, focused on his work,
a Thai official present at the dinner said. He spoke on condition of
anonymity.
 Myanmar delegates advised their Thai hosts that he does not drink
alcohol or play golf, but enjoys reading.

 Little is known about Khin Nyunt, the chief of military intelligence,
who has held the post of Secretary One in Myanmar's State Peace and
Development Council since it took power after a bloody crackdown against
a democracy uprising in 1988.
 Khin Nyunt, who arrived Monday, is scheduled to return on Wednesday.

Deutsche Presse-Agentur : Thailand offers Myanmar assistance for
suppressing drug production

Bangkok

September 4

Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has offered technical assistance
in the field of drug suppression to Myanmar (Burma), Thai Foreign
Minister Surakiat Sathirathai said on Tuesday.

"Last night during dinner, Thaksin told Lieutenant General Khin Nyunt
that Thailand will provide technical assistance worth about 20 million
baht (440,000 dollars) for the suppression of drug production in
Myanmar," Surakiat said. Lieutenant General Khin Nyunt, chief of the
Myanmar junta's intelligence apparatus, arrived in Thailand on Monday
for three days of talks centred on drug suppression, trade and other
issues.

In talks Monday afternoon, Khin Nyunt said the United Wa State Army, an
ethnic minority-based guerrilla force blamed for much of the region's
illicit amphetamine production, had promised the Myanmar government to
cease making drugs by 2005.

The Thai prime minister had offered preferential trade privileges for
agricultural products grown in the Shan state, a region that is known to
be Myanmar's main drug production area.

Khin Nyunt, Myanmar's third-highest-ranking junta leader, is chief of a
37-strong delegation visiting Thailand until Wednesday. Although this
marks Khin Nyunt's third official visit to Thailand, it is his first as
chief of delegation and may be indicative of rising status within the
junta.

South China Morning Post: Junta leader accepts smuggling intolerable

September 5, 2001

William Barnes in Bangkok

Thai officials said yesterday they had finally "got through" to the
military regime in Myanmar, which they have long accused of being soft
on the drug trade.

Yangon's powerful First Secretary and intelligence chief,
Lieutenant-General Khin Nyunt and his 37-strong entourage, who are
visiting the Thai capital, had accepted that the drug trade on the
border was intolerable, said a senior Thai official.

"The thrust of our complaints appears to have struck home. I think they
know we have a strong case - that we can't allow this flood (of drugs)
to continue," he said. Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra claimed after
meeting General Khin Nyunt on Monday that the ethnic Wa - allies of the
regime - would shun the drug trade "in a few short years". Thai security
officials more cautiously described this as a "target" yesterday and
pointed out that most observers understood the central Government could
not influence the entire Myanmar drug industry.

Thailand and Myanmar have traded insults and accusations for years about
responsibility for the massive drug industry in Myanmar's Shan state,
from where heroin and amphetamine-type drugs pour over the border.

Growing frustration over the trade in amphetamines has resulted in
increasingly blunt accusations by Thai officials that Yangon is
complicit in the industry.

General Khin Nyunt's visit - his third to Thailand - is important
because he has been responsible for cementing, and monitoring, nearly 20
ceasefire deals with Myanmar's ethnic minorities in the past decade,
including key drug -producing groups such as the Wa.

"He deals directly with these people. No one has influence on them like
he has. He may be the best friend they (groups like the Wa) have," said
a Thai narcotics agent in Chiang Mai.

Mr Thaksin said shortly after his January election victory that his
administration would swiftly solve all problems with Myanmar by personal
diplomacy. "We cannot but deal with these people. We can help them and
they can help us. Hostility must be a thing of the past," Mr Thaksin
said.

He made a rare visit by a Thai premier to Yangon in May. Mr Thaksin's
predecessor, Chuan Leekpai, refused to visit. Mr Chuan's foreign
minister, Surin Pitsuwan, attempted to introduce the concept of
"flexible engagement" into the Association of Southeast Asian Nations'
agenda so that Myanmar could be criticised.

Although many observers have been sceptical of what some see as Mr
Thaksin's efforts to overturn centuries of mutual hostility, Yangon
appears prepared to play along.

Analysts note that it may not have much choice, since China - the
regime's closest ally - has been increasingly vocal about the dangers
posed by drug production in the Golden Triangle near its southwestern
border area.

Following a recent meeting hosted by China and involving Myanmar,
Thailand and Laos, leaders of the four nations will hold the first of
their agreed regular summits on tackling the drug problem later this
year in Thailand, Thai Foreign Minister Surakiart Sathirathai said
yesterday.

The ruling generals might also be co-operating because they wanted to
shore up their legitimacy in negotiations under way with opposition
leader Aung San Suu Kyi, said one observer.

"If there is ever to be some kind of settlement in Burma (Myanmar) that
leaves the military with a share of power, then they have to pose as
selfless patriots. They need to distance themselves from the drug
trade," he said.

___________________ REGIONAL/INTERNATIONAL___________________

BBC: Burma and Thailand seek closer ties

Sept 4 2001

By regional analyst Larry Jagan in Bangkok

The trip to Thailand by one of Burma's most senior military leaders is
aimed at soothing tensions over drug smuggling and a simmering border
row.

The two sides will also be talking business - Burma is anxious to get
access to Thai capital to help sustain its crumbling economy.

Lieutenant-General Khin Nyunt, Burma's head of military intelligence,
was given a welcome usually reserved for heads of state.

That is how important Bangkok sees this visit.

But for Rangoon the trip is equally important. It is the first major
bilateral visit to Thailand by the military intelligence chief for
several years.

Border trouble

That is because the previous Thai Government led by Chuan Leekpai
pursued a policy that it called "flexible engagement".

Khin Nyunt is being treated like a head of state

This meant that they were often critical of the Burmese, and did not
always support them in international forums like the United Nations or
the Internation Labour Organisation. As a result the exchange visits of
senior leaders were in effect suspended.

When Thaksin Shinawatra was elected Prime Minster earlier this year he
and his Defence Minister Chaovalit Yongchaiyut had expected to
immediately improve relations with Rangoon. But cross border incursions
by Burmese troops and the rebel Wa - who are regarded as responsible for
most of the drug production in Burma's Golden triangle - put paid to
that.

Mr Thaksin's government has spent much of the last six months trying to
convince Rangoon that they really wanted to enter a new relationship

 For several weeks there were heavy exchanges of fire across the border.
Several Thais and Burmese refugees were killed. According to Burmese
military sources, several hundred Burmese soldiers also died in the
fighting.

Both sides blamed each other, saying the other was supporting ethnic
groups involved in drug production. The Thais said the Burmese were
supporting the Wa, while Rangoon blamed Bangkok for supporting the Shan.

Diplomatic moves

Mr Thaksin's government has spent much of the last six months trying to
convince Rangoon that it really did want to enter a new relationship. A
Rangoon-based Asian diplomat told the BBC that Mr Thaksin's visit to
Burma in June was the turning point.

Drug smuggling is an area of tension

"Now with Khin Nyunt visiting Bangkok, they'll be able to get down to
business on fighting drug-trafficking and improving bilateral relations
generally," he said.

Combating the drugs trade has already dominated the bilateral
discussions.

"We need cooperation from all sides to effectively suppress drug
trafficking," the deputy head of Thailand's anti-drug force, Chatchai
Suthiklom told journalists.

Prime Minister Thaksin has also reportedly told Khin Nyunt that Thailand
was prepared to help Burma's efforts to suppress the trade with
technical assistance and know-how. There were also offers to support
Burmese crop substitution programmes financially in the Wa area, and
import the produce at preferential rates.

However US drug experts remain sceptical that the Burmese and Wa will
deliver on this promise.

Khin Nyunt for his part told the Thais that the Wa - who have a
ceasefire agreement with the Burmese army - have agreed to make the
region a drug-free zone by 2005.

It is this news, Thai Foreign Minister Surakiat Sathirathai told
journalists, that has prompted the government's offer of financial
support.

Road project

But both sides have also been discussing other business projects. Mr
Thaksin's government is committed to expanding the country's economy,
and part of that involves strengthening bilateral ties. Burma is a high
priority for these sorts of schemes.

Already there are plans to transfer sugar cane plantations along the
border in western Thailand across the border into Burma to utilise the
cheaper labour force that is available there. The Thai Prime Minister
signed a contract on his June visit to Rangoon which provides funds for
a major access road from Thai border town of Kanchanaburi to the Burmese
port town of Tavoy.

The Tavoy project, as it is called, is now to be replicated further
south. The Burmese for their part have promised Thailand priority in the
offer of fishing concessions in the Andaman sea.

Predictably there is opposition in Thailand to this proposed close
economic relationship with Burma.

Opposition MP Kraisak Choonhavan - who is also chairman of the Thai
Senate's Foreign Affairs Committee - told the BBC that the previous Thai
policy of flexible engagement had failed.

"Something new should be tried," he said. "But Thaksin government's
'forward engagement' only means business engagement which benefited
Thaksin's cronies

AP: Myanmar No. 3 general visits Thaksin's satellite station

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) _ Amid tight security, Myanmar's No. 3 general on
Tuesday visited a satellite station operated by Prime Minister Thaksin
Shinawatra's telecommunications company.

 Lt. Gen. Khin Nyunt's rare official visit to Thailand is the latest
effort to patch up ties between the two uneasy neighbors, whose armies
clashed earlier this year at their common border.

 Thai Defense Minister Chavalit Yongchaiyudh told reporters that Khin
Nyunt was visiting the ThaiCom satellite station to see the progress of
Thailand's high-tech communications industry, ``as a model for
development in his own country.''

 On Monday, Chavalit, a former army chief with long-standing links to
the Myanmar regime, hosted a three-hour dinner cruise on Bangkok's Chao
Phraya river for Khin Nyunt and his 32-member delegation.
 Thai and Myanmar officials enjoyed drinking whisky together and singing
songs, although Khin Nyunt appeared a reserved man, focused on his work,
a Thai official present at the dinner said. He spoke on condition of
anonymity.

 Myanmar delegates advised their Thai hosts that he does not drink
alcohol or play golf, but enjoys reading.

 Little is known about Khin Nyunt, the chief of military intelligence,
who has held the post of Secretary One in Myanmar's State Peace and
Development Council since it took power after a bloody crackdown against
a democracy uprising in 1988.

 Officials said that a Thai security team with bomb detectors combed the
area near the satellite station in Prathum Thani province on the
outskirts of Bangkok before Khin Nyunt arrived in a bulletproof
motorcade.
 Last month, Myanmar launched an English-language television channel
MRTV3 to present a ``true image'' of the country overseas, using
Thaicom-3, a satellite owned by Thaksin's Shin Corp.

 The media in Myanmar, also known as Burma, are either controlled or
censored by the government, which often complains that it gets biased
coverage from the foreign press by focusing on its political problems
and human rights record.

 Thai democracy activists on Monday staged a small protest against Khin
Nyunt's visit. They say a democracy like Thailand should not entertain
the representative of a regime that has oppressed its opposition led by
Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi for more than a decade and has never
honored her party's 1990 general election victory.

 Khin Nyunt was scheduled to have a working lunch with the Thai foreign
minister later Tuesday, before traveling to the southern beach resort of
Hua Hin for an audience with King Bhumibol Adulyadej. Khin Nyunt is
scheduled to return on Wednesday.

 Soon after he arrived on Monday, Khin Nyunt met with Thaksin, and
reaffirmed his government's commitment to renew economic cooperation in
fishing, trade, investments and joint ventures, and to step up the fight
on drugs, a divisive issue between the two countries, Thai officials
said.

 Thailand faces a tide of methamphetamines being smuggled from Myanmar
where they are produced by local drug barons in autonomous areas.
Thailand says Myanmar is not doing enough to stop the drug trade, a
charge Myanmar denies.

 In February, Thai and Myanmar forces clashed briefly at the border but
relations have warmed since a visit by Thaksin to Myanmar in June, the
first by a Thai prime minister to the military state in four years.

Bangkok Post: Old foes now best of  friends - Khin Nyunt feted on board
luxury boat

Wednesday 05 September 2001

By Wassana Nanuam

Defence Minister Chavalit Yongchaiyudh hailed Burma as Thailand's best
friend after security talks with Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt, first secretary of
the Rangoon junta.

On Monday night, Gen Chavalit threw a dinner party for the visiting
Burmese intelligence chief on board the luxury river boat Oriental
Queen.

The defence minister said the function on the boat was reminiscent of a
similar gathering a decade ago when former Burmese leader Gen Saw Maung
visited Thailand along with Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt, then a colonel.

``We went so far to search for a good friend. In fact, a very good
friend is near,'' Gen Chavalit said. ``I would like to repeat what I
said 10 years ago that our best friend is our neighbour. I have proven
this.

``We could reach agreement on 10 issues in only about an hour, since we
are friends.''

Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt promised Burma would be Thailand's best friend in
every aspect.

``Coming to Thailand this time, I feel so good because of the warm
welcome from Gen Chavalit. I respect him as my big brother since he is
70,'' he said.

The atmosphere during the party was lively with the Burmese leader and
some Burmese cabinet members going on stage to sing a Burmese Songkran
festival song.

A source said Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt agreed to free 64 Thais imprisoned in
Burma, while the Thai military promised to help Burma build a road
linking Three-Pagoda checkpoint in Kanchanaburi to Tavoy in lower Burma,
and a road linking Myawaddy to Pa-an in Burma's Karen state.

Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt also referred to peace talks between Rangoon and
National League for Democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi, which has led to
the release of 179 political prisoners from the NLD.

He said the junta was also seeking to negotiate with the anti-Rangoon
Karen National Union.

A Defence Ministry source said Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt had asked for the use
of an air force C130 aircraft instead of a helicopter to take him to
Klaikangwon Palace in Hua Hin where he had an an audience with His
Majesty the King at 5pm yesterday.

Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt and his team were to attend a farewell at the army's
guesthouse in Pran Buri, Prachuap Khiri Khan, last night before leaving
Bangkok for Burma at 9.30am today on a Burmese plane.

The Irrawaddy: S1 Comes to Bangkok

By Ko Thet & John S. Moncreif

September 4, 2001Thai officials gave a warm welcome to Secretary One
Lt-Gen Khin Nyint of Burmas State Peace and Development Council, who
arrived in Bangkok on Monday afternoon for a three-day visit to shore up
relations between the two countries.

Despite troubled relations between the two governments over the past
eight months, Thai officials appear to be trying to patch things up with
their neighbors. Defense Minister Chavalit Yongchaiyudt, who is
considered be on very close terms with Burmas ruling generals, welcomed
Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt to Bangkok with a hug and a red-carpet reception that
included the honor guard.

Earlier this year bilateral relations reached their nadir, as Thai and
Burmese troops clashed on the border over the flow of amphetamines from
Burma to Thailand. In recent months, however, tensions have eased,
following a series of high-profile state visits to Rangoon by Thai
leaders.

"Im surprised to see such a friendly reception by Thai officials, given
the problems on the border," said one Rangoon-based businessman. "But we
were happy to see Thai students protesting the visit," he added.

Soon after his arrival, Khin Nyunt met with Thai Prime Minister Thaksin
Shinawatra to discuss a number of proposals to improve relations between
the two countries, including cooperation in efforts to stem the flow of
drugs. The Thai government proposed a plan to offer favorable access to
Thai markets for fruit and other produce from border areas controlled by
the United Wa State Army (UWSA), which has been accused of being the
regions major drug producer.

There were also reliable reports that Khin Nyunt planned to meet with
representatives of PM Thaksins Shinawatra Telecom Co. to negotiate a
deal to buy more satellite time for the broadcast of MRTV-3. At present,
MRTV-3, an English-language satellite TV station inaugurated last month
as part of the Rangoon regimes efforts to improve its international
image, broadcasts just three hours a day. It was unclear, however, if
the meeting would go ahead as planned, as Thai officials were reportedly
concerned that the public might perceive it as an attempt by the Prime
Minister to personally profit from relations with Rangoon.

Meanwhile, as the Burmese general received VIP treatment in Bangkok,
Thai military officials deployed along the northern border between the
two countries maintained a tough stance towards the Burmese, according
to senior Bangkok-based journalist Don Pathan. A proposal by Defense
Minister Chavalit Yongchaiyudt to include representatives of the UWSA at
border meetings has reportedly upset some Thai military officers, who
say it would give the group too much bargaining power.

Security surrounding Khin Nyunts visit has been tight, as demonstrators
have protested the junta members presence. A statement issued by Thai
and Burmese student democratic organizations demanded that the Thai
government reconsider its relationship with Burma until democracy is
restored to the military-ruled nation.

Khin Nyunt is scheduled to have an audience with HM King Bhumipol
Aduluyadej. This meeting comes four months after government-controlled
newspapers in Burma ran a series of articles critical of previous Thai
monarchs.

___________EDITORIALS/OPINION/PROPAGANDA__________

Going Places: Myanmar

[BurmaNet adds--Going Places is a magazine/brochure published for the
members of the American Automobile Association, a tourism and travel
organization.]

September-October 2001

Story and Photos By Ginger Dingus

At sunset, when the radiant red glow of the tropical sun begins to melt
behind the shimmering golden spires of Shwedagon Pagoda, it?s easy to
picture just how glorious Burma, in its heyday, must have been.

Fortunately, you don?t have to stretch your imagination very far.
Virtually closed to the outside world until a decade ago, Burma, now
officially called Myanmar, remains remarkably untouched by modern ways.
It is one of Southeast Asia?s most intriguing destinations.

Hundreds of ancient temples dot a landscape little changed in centuries.
Towering structures built to honor Buddha come fashioned of brick,
painted in cool pastels or covered in layers of delicate gold leaf.
Precious gemstones adorn the most sacred spires, as do offerings of
incense and flowers.

Silent, serene images of Buddha in varying size, shape and material fill
every available temple nook. Equally numerous are the throngs of
red-robed monks who, surprisingly, are as likely to be precocious
children as wise old men. Serving as a monk is a normal part of a boy?s
education. Novice monks may enter the monastery school at age five, but
only the most devout continue their religious studies for more than a
few months.

>From laughing child monks to hard-working mothers selling goods in
crowded markets, the people of Myanmar rate among the friendliest you?re
likely to meet. Wander past the bustling fruit and vegetable stalls, and
you?re greeted by genuine smiles at every turn. Taking photos of
beautiful faces painted with yellow thanaka, a natural sun block made of
ground tree bark, is a snap.

We begin our journey in the capital city of Yangon, formerly Rangoon,
once a thriving port. Today, Yangon offers travelers a choice of modern
accommodations, many built for the government?s 1996 ?Visit Myanmar?
promotion. Traders Hotel, the city?s tallest building, features
commanding views overlooking tree-lined avenues, stately Victorian
buildings, the Yangon River and fabulous Shwedagon Pagoda.

No trip to Myanmar would be complete without a visit to the Shwedagon.
According to legend, the original hilltop pagoda was constructed more
than 2,500 years ago to enshrine eight sacred hairs of Lord Buddha. The
present pagoda dates from 1769 and consists of spire upon gold-sheathed
spire. The site attracts colorfully dressed families, novice monks and
camera-toting tourists, giving it the festive air of a Sunday outing in
the park. As in all Buddhist shrines throughout the country, shoes must
be removed at the entrance. Only bare feet may touch the white marble
terrace, always circling the stupas (summit) in a clockwise direction.

At Scott Market, a cavernous covered bazaar a block?s walk from Traders
Hotel, enterprising shopkeepers vie for attention. They offer exquisite
(and inexpensive) lacquerware, sandalwood figures, embroidery, silk,
puppets and silver jewelry. Bargaining and the U.S. dollar are widely
accepted. Remember to bring plenty of small bills.

Leaving Yangon, our adventure leads to Mandalay, Burma?s last royal
capital before the country was annexed to Britain in 1886. Here, the
lovely riverboat The Road to Mandalay, awaits. With few paved roads and
fewer tourist-class hotels, travel by riverboat is the most pleasurable
way to explore the countryside. It is also the most fitting.
Historically, the Ayeyarwady River served as the main road to Mandalay,
a water highway for paddle-wheelers carrying passengers and cargo alike.

The Road to Mandalay plies the Ayeyarwady between Mandalay and Bagan, a
120-mile, four-to five-day voyage. The beautifully refurbished river
vessel transports just 126 passengers in the style one would expect of
its owner, Orient-Express. Guests gather for cocktails around the top
deck swimming pool, enjoy international cuisine in an elegantly
furnished dining room and sleep in handsome, air-conditioned cabins.

Highlights along the river include a tour of Mandalay. We stop to see
stonecutters chiseling Buddha figures from marble slabs, then pause to
photograph the moat-surrounded Royal Palace and a gilded replica of the
King?s royal barge. The day draws to a close as we watch a stunning
sunset from U Bein Bridge. Built entirely of teak in the late 1700s, the
three-quarter-mile footbridge spans a shallow lake stretching between
Amarapura and the neighboring monastery. At dusk, the plank pathway
perched on stilts comes alive. Young couples walk hand-in-hand. Groups
of chattering teenage monks head home after their daily rounds. Slender
ladies balance broad baskets brimming with fruit on their heads, and
small children push their bicycles. There are no protective handrails,
so the pace is a delightfully leisurely one.

The following morning, we arise with the sun and stroll into the village
of Shwe Kyet Yet to witness the daily ritual of alms collecting.
Two-dozen barefoot monks of all ages gather in front of the monastery,
each draped in a red robe and clutching an empty black lacquer bowl.
Soon, they form a single line, the oldest monk at the head of the
procession. Tiny, giggling five year olds bring up the rear. As the
monks walk through the dusty streets, local women emerge from woven
bamboo houses to spoon steamy rice (the alms) into the outstretched
lacquer bowls.

At mid-morning, The Road to Mandalay departs from its namesake city for
a scenic cruise downriver. As we near Bagan, dozens of red brick temples
can be seen rising from the arid landscape like so many sandcastles. In
fact, Bagan boasts more than 2,000 temples adorned with images of
Buddha, fading murals, gold and tinkling bells. No two are alike.

When the intrepid traveler Marco Polo reached Bagan in the 13th century,
he found more than 13,000 temples and pagodas, each erected by a wealthy
individual in hopes of gaining merit for the next life. Remarkably,
Marco Polo?s description of the city in its prosperous gilded age still
rings true. ?These temples?, he wrote, ?form one of the finest sights in
the world; so exquisitely finished are they, so splendid. And when they
are lighted up by the sun, they shine most brilliantly.? Watch a fiery
sunrise or sunset, and you?re bound to agree. Myanmar?s ancient wonders
are indeed timeless.

Letter to the Editor, Going Places--?support for one of the world's most
cruel and illegitimate governments is indefensible?

To Whom It May Concern:

As a former official in a US Embassy in Southeast Asia, I am outraged
that AAA would publish a cover article in Going Places that promotes
visits to "Myanmar" (Burma).  While your naive author, Ginger Dingus,
may consider Burma to be a "quaint" place to visit, her implicit support
for one of the world's most cruel and illegitimate governments is
indefensible.  She makes no mention of the fact that the military
leaders now ruling Burma seized power in a bloody coup that overturned
an election victory by Aung San Suu Kyi, subsequently a Nobel Peace
Prize winner, who is kept under virtual house arrest. The military
regime that rules Burma with an iron fist depends on foreign income (and
drug money) for its survival - now promoted by AAA in the form of
tourist dollars that will be used to prop up the regime.

The author's inane commentary cites "laughing child monks" and "giggling
five year olds" while totally ignoring the suffering of the people of
Burma under military rule. I seriously doubt that your author met many
giggling adults while on her "adventure."  The vast majority of the
Burmese people are suffering, both in economic and political terms,
while AAA promotes more tourist dollars for the coffers of Burma's
military leaders.  Many Western democracies (including the US) have
economic embargoes in-place against Burma and discourage their citizens
from visiting the country, because unlike your author, they realize that
most foreign income is directed to Burma's military budget.

You have done a serious disservice to the vast majority of the Burmese
people who support the pro-democracy movement and oppose any support,
including tourism, for the ruling military regime in Burma.  Even use of
the term "Myanmar" (instead of Burma), a term concocted by the military
regime, is not recognized by many foreign governments (including the
US).  AAA owes its readers balanced reporting and a sense of social
responsibility when it promotes tourist destinations in its bimonthly
journal for AAA members.  In this case, you have failed miserably.

Edward J. Corcoran
St. Augustine, FL

[BurmaNet adds-- Edward Corcoran is the former US Army attache to
Thailand]

________________

The BurmaNet News is an Internet newspaper providing comprehensive
coverage of news and opinion on Burma  (Myanmar) from around the world.
If you see something on Burma, you can bring it to our attention by
emailing it to strider@xxxxxxxxxxxx

To automatically subscribe to Burma's only free daily newspaper in
English, send an email to:
burmanet-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

To subscribe to The BurmaNet News in Burmese, send an email to:

burmanetburmese-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You can also contact BurmaNet by fax:

(US) +1(413)604-9008

________________

Burma News Summaries available by email or the web

There are three Burma news digest services available via either email or
the web.

Burma News Update
Frequency: Biweekly
Availability: By fax or the web.
Viewable online at
http://www.burmaproject.org/burmanewsupdate/index.html
Cost: Free
Published by: Open Society Institute, Burma Project

The Burma Courier
Frequency: Weekly
Availability: E-mail, fax or post.  To subscribe or unsubscribe by email
celsus@xxxxxxxxxxx
Viewable on line at: http://www.egroups.com/group/BurmaCourier
Cost: Free
Note: News sources are cited at the beginning of an article.
Interpretive comments and background
details are often added.

Burma Today
Frequency: Weekly
Availability: E-mail
Viewable online at http://www.worldviewrights.org/pdburma/today.html
Cost: Free
Published by: PD Burma (The International Network of Political Leaders
Promoting Democracy in Burma)