BurmaNet News: November 10, 2001

______________ THE BURMANET NEWS ______________
        An on-line newspaper covering Burma
          November 10, 2001   Issue # 1916
______________ www.burmanet.org _______________

INSIDE BURMA _______
*AP: Myanmar's military regime frees four more political prisoners
*United Nations: Myanmar: Report of the Secretary-General [special
rapporteur]
*VOA: ILO--Burma Has Reduced Some Forced Labor, But Practice Continues

MONEY _______
*AP: Thai businessmen protest closure of checkpoints at Myanmar border

GUNS______
*DVB: Ethnic groups clash with military near gas pipeline zone in south
*Shan Herald Agency for News: Wanton killings raise questions on
alliance

REGIONAL/INTERNATIONAL _______
*AFP: 'Golden opportunity' for change in Myanmar: UN envoy
*Burma Media Association : Journalists Honored in Canadian Awards Gala

DRUGS_____
*Shan Herald Agency for News:  Poppy farmers pay tax to Burma Army

OTHER______
*PD Burma: Calendar of events

__________________ INSIDE BURMA ____________________

AP: Myanmar's military regime frees four more political prisoners

YANGON, Myanmar (AP) _ In its latest gesture of reconciliation,
Myanmar's military government on Friday released four members of
opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi's National League for Democracy party
from prison, a government press release announced.

 Their release came shortly before a report was due to be delivered
Friday morning in New York to the United Nations General Assembly on the
state of human rights in Myanmar, also known as Burma.
 With Friday's releases, the government has freed 186 members of Suu
Kyi's NLD _ including 21 elected Members of Parliament _ since the start
of the year.
 The releases began after the start of closed-door talks in October last
year between Suu Kyi and the military government aimed at ending the
country's political deadlock.

 The talks, begun at the initiative of a United Nations special envoy,
Malaysian diplomat Razali Ismail, have shown no substantive results so
far.
 Suu Kyi has expressed unhappiness with the slow pace of releases but is
guardedly optimistic for the long-term prospects of the talks, said a
recent visitor with her who insisted on anonymity.

 The military seized power in 1988 after crushing a democracy uprising.
It called national elections in 1990, but refused to let Parliament
convene after Suu Kyi's party won an overwhelming victory.

 The junta is also criticized for human rights abuses.
 Friday's government statement named those released as Tha Htay, Khin
Maung Oo, Kyaw Soe and Tin Win.
 The statement said all those released from ``various correctional
facilities are in good health and are back with their respective
families.''

 Human rights organizations say more than 1,000 political prisoners
remain in jail.

 On Friday in New York, U.N. human rights rapporteur Paulo Sergio
Pinheiro, a Brazilian political scientist, is scheduled to present the
U.N. General Assembly with his assessment of civil and political rights
after an inspection visit to Myanmar last month.

 In a report before the visit, Pinheiro said he welcomed earlier
prisoner releases but urged more. On the eve of his visit Myanmar freed
five more opposition members from jail as a ``goodwill gesture,'' and on
Oct. 26, after his visit, eight more members of Suu Kyi's party were
released from various prisons.

 Pinheiro was the first U.N. human rights investigator allowed into the
country in half a decade. He was named U.N. human rights rapporteur in
February, replacing Rajsoomer Lallah, a Mauritian judge who was never
allowed entry.

United Nations: Myanmar: Report of the Secretary-General [special
rapporteur]

United Nations
General Assembly
A/56/505

Distr.: General
Original: English

Fifty-sixth session
Agenda item 119 (c)

Human rights questions: human rights situations and reports of special
rapporteurs and representatives

Situation of human rights in Myanmar

Report of the Secretary-General*

I. Introduction

1. The present report is submitted pursuant to paragraph 23 of General
Assembly resolution 55/112 of 4 December 2000, entitled "Situation of
human rights in Myanmar", in which the Assembly requested me to continue
my discussions on the situation of human rights and the restoration of
democracy with the Government of Myanmar, to submit additional reports
to the Assembly during its fifty-fifth session on the progress of those
discussions, and to report to the Assembly at its fifty-sixth session
and to the Commission on Human Rights at its fifty-seventh session on
the progress made in the implementation of resolution 55/112.

2. As indicated in my previous reports, I consider the role entrusted to
me by the General Assembly as being one of good offices, as opposed to
the fact-finding mandate assigned by the Commission on Human Rights to
its Special Rapporteur. In this context, the General Assembly, in
resolution 55/112, endorsed the appeal of my Special Envoy for Myanmar,
Razali Ismail, for the initiation of a process of dialogue that would
lead to national reconciliation and supported his efforts to achieve
such a dialogue.

3. In implementation of resolution 55/112, my Special Envoy has so far
visited Myanmar three times in 2001: from 5 to 9 January, from 1 to 4
June and from 27 to 30 August. During the three visits, his primary
interlocutors from the Government side were Secretary-1 of the State
Peace and Development Council, Lieutenant General Khin Nyunt, the
Minister for Foreign Affairs, U Win Aung, and the Deputy Minister for
Foreign Affairs, U Khin Maung Win. Other governmental officials with
whom the Special Envoy had discussions included the Minister in the
Prime Minister's Office, U Tin Winn, and the Minister at the Office of
the Chairman of the State Peace and Development Council, Brigadier
General D. O. Abel. During each of his visits, he met separately with
the General-Secretary of the National League for Democracy (NLD), Daw
Aung San Suu Kyi. In August, Mr. Razali was able to meet with the
Chairman and the Vice Chairman of NLD, U Aung Shwe and U Tin Oo, who had
been released from their house arrest one day prior to his arrival in
Yangon. My Special Envoy also held useful exchanges of views with
representatives of the ethnic nationalities, the diplomatic corps, the
United Nations country team and international non-governmental
organizations in Myanmar. In addition, my Special Envoy has received
considerable help both from inside and outside the region.
* The footnote requested by the General Assembly in resolution 54/248
was not included in the submission.

II. Contents of the discussions

4. Each visit by my Special Envoy has been conducted with a view to
developing and sustaining the momentum for change that has been
generated since the Government and Daw Aung San Suu Kyi embarked upon
the most recent stage in the national reconciliation process in October
2000. Some encouraging developments have since emerged which have
contributed to improving the political climate, and some basis of
understanding is beginning to take root between the Government and NLD.
During the visit of my Special Envoy to Myanmar in January, for example,
the Foreign Minister, U Win Aung, acknowledged that, after an interval
of six years, direct talks between the Government and Daw Aung San Suu
Kyi had resumed. Both sides have requested that the substance of their
discussions remain confidential since the national reconciliation
process is still fragile and at the confidence-building stage.

5. These and other recent developments demonstrated that national
reconciliation should be home-grown and can only be successfully
achieved by the people of Myanmar. My role, therefore, is to assist
their efforts and help to facilitate the national reconciliation process
among all of the interested parties in Myanmar. In that regard, the
catalytic role that Mr. Razali has played and continues to play in
facilitating the national reconciliation process, and his efforts to
find ways to move the process forward, are appreciated.

6. In his separate discussions with Secretary-1 and Daw Aung San Suu
Kyi, Mr. Razali has emphasized that there is no alternative to the
ongoing talks if Myanmar is to achieve national reconciliation and to
return fully to the mainstream of the international community. His
discussions centred mostly on three areas in which the two sides had
indicated that some progress could be made: the release of political
prisoners, allowing for normal activities of legal political parties,
and the provision of enhanced humanitarian assistance.

7. Mr. Razali reasoned with his interlocutors from the Government that
the imprisonment of people who are viewed as being only political
activists could not but impact negatively on its goal of returning the
country to democracy. He consistently urged the Government to consider
releasing political prisoners detained at various facilities, including
those described as guest houses. In so doing, my Special Envoy
emphasized that priority should be given to members of Parliament
elected in the 1990 elections, the elderly, women and those who have
completed their sentences. In parallel with the release of prisoners, he
also emphasized the need for freedom of activity to be restored to
legitimate political parties, including NLD.

8. The response of the Government to the release of political detainees
has been relatively positive. Secretary-1 explained to Mr. Razali that,
because of the need to maintain national security and stability, the
Government would consider the release of political detainees on a
case-by-case basis and on the basis of its discussions with Daw Aung San
Suu Kyi. The Government of Myanmar has so far released 174 prisoners
since January 2001, including all members of Parliament detained at
guest houses and most of those detained at prisons. The Government has
allowed NLD to open 21 township offices in the Yangon district and has
indicated to my Special Envoy that further offices would be allowed to
reopen in the near future. For its part, the NLD leadership has reminded
party members of the importance of exercising self-control at the
present, delicate stage of the national reconciliation process.

9. In his meetings with the Government and Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, Mr.
Razali discussed the possibility of greater United Nations humanitarian
assistance to deal with the challenge posed by HIV/AIDS and other
health-related issues, including malaria and the lack of immunization.
The Government mentioned maternal and child welfare as an area in which
international assistance is also required, while Daw Aung San Suu Kyi
spoke of the threat from tuberculosis. My Special Envoy has reported
that both sides are beginning to take an increasingly pragmatic approach
in addressing the issue of humanitarian assistance, and he is hopeful
that modalities acceptable to the two sides can soon be found.

10. My Special Envoy has made an effort to explain recent developments
in the national reconciliation process to representatives of ethnic
nationalities whose eventual inclusion in the process is supported by
the United Nations. He has informed them that, at the present stage,
neither Daw Aung San Suu Kyi nor the Government considered that the time
was right to enter into a trilateral dialogue. Ethnic nationality
leaders have expressed their support for the ongoing talks, and their
hope that they would be invited to take part in the national
reconciliation process at an appropriate time.

11. Mr. Razali stressed the need for the Government to deal seriously
with the International Labour Organization (ILO) issue of forced labour.
The Government assured him that it was prepared to grant free access to
the high-level team from the International Labour Organization, which
visited Myanmar for three weeks from 17 September to 6 October 2001.
While the team's report on its mission is not yet available, initial
reports from Yangon indicate that the team was indeed able to go to the
areas that it had wanted to visit. The interim report (see A/56/312)
prepared by the Special Rapporteur of the Commission on Human Rights on
the situation of human rights in Myanmar, Paulo Sergio Pinheiro, on the
basis of his first visit to Myanmar from 3 to 5 April 2001, and a
further report reflecting the results of his second visit, from 9 to 17
October 2001, should be noted.

III. Observations

12. The national reconciliation process in Myanmar is at a crossroads.
Important positive developments have taken place since January 2001, and
I am encouraged by the growing indications that a climate of
understanding between the Government and Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and her
NLD is taking root. I commend the Prime Minister and Chairman of the
State Peace and Development Council, Senior General Than Shwe, and Daw
Aung San Suu Kyi, for their decision to enter into a dialogue on
national reconciliation and democratization in Myanmar. The process is,
however, still at the confidence-building stage and the present positive
climate must lead to more positive results in the process towards
national reconciliation and democracy. Much more needs to be done to
make the process irreversible. To that end, I urge the Government to
continue releasing the remaining political detainees and to further
restore freedom of activity for legitimate political parties at an early
date. At the same time, I note with regret that Daw Aung San Suu Kyi
remains at her house, and express the hope that the ongoing talks
between the two sides will soon lead to the restoration of her rights to
move freely around the country, as the leader of a lawful political
party. I appeal to Senior General Than Shwe and other leaders of the
Government and Daw Aung San Suu Kyi to continue to work closely together
to ensure that a national reconciliation that is acceptable to all
involved parties in Myanmar can be achieved at an early date. I also
call upon the international community to continue to respond in equal
measure to further progress in the national reconciliation process. The
international community must play its role in various ways to encourage
realization of the goals of national reconciliation and democracy. The
United Nations remains committed to assisting the people of Myanmar to
achieve progress and social viability in a democratic framework, since
this is their inalienable right. I am particularly grateful for the
consistent support that certain interested Member States, both inside
and outside the region, have provided to my Special Envoy's mission of
good offices over the past year. I stand ready to continue to do my
utmost to assist the process of national reconciliation in Myanmar,
especially with the assistance of those countries.

VOA: ILO--Burma Has Reduced Some Forced Labor, But Practice Continues

Scott Bobb
Bangkok
9 Nov 2001 13:32 UTC

The United Nations' International Labor Organization has issued a report
on forced labor in Burma, after a high-level team made an unprecedented
three-week visit to the country. The team found Burma's military
government has made some effort to reduce forced labor in the country,
but the practice continues in certain areas.

The team spent three weeks in Burma to determine whether the government
is implementing new laws against forced labor.

The International Labor Organization official in charge of the report,
Francis Maupain, told VOA the team concluded the government has spread
information about the new laws, which make forced labor a criminal
offense. The laws, however, have made little difference. "It's limited.
That's the conclusion. It's limited because forced labor still exists
and it still exists especially in the border areas where insurgency may
still be going on," Maupain said.

International labor groups for years have criticized the practice by the
Burmese military of forcing peasants in remote areas to work without
pay.

They add that as the military has expanded into agriculture, it has
forced villagers to work on farms without pay. They say workers are
frequently beaten and some have died because of the abuse.

Mr. Maupain has said the Burmese government has shown a commitment to
addressing the issue, but military commanders do not always enforce the
laws. "The main problem which is found by the team, that is that the
will may exist in Yangon, but so far it has trouble to percolate down to
the grass roots level," he said.

The team says a big problem is that violators are not prosecuted. It
recommended that an independent branch of the judiciary be set up, and
that the ILO be allowed to have a representative in Burma to investigate
and help prosecute cases of forced labor.

Friday, one of the groups that first brought up the practice of forced
labor in Burma, the International Confederation of Free Trade Unions,
praised the ILO report.

An official of the confederation, which represents 150 million union
workers around the world, Januk Kuchkievitch says it was the first major
legal investigation of a human rights issue in Burma. He has said the
report establishes that forced labor does take place, but he has warned
the ILO and its 145 member nations against expecting any major change in
Burma any time soon.

"We believe it will be some time before any meaningful ILO presence can
be established and we also believe that unless there are serious signs
of progress in the political dialogue inside Burma, it will be very
difficult for that meaningful presence to take place or have effect,"
Kuchkievitch said.

Mr. Kuchkievitch says his group will maintain pressure on the Burmese
government. He says it will seek to discourage foreign investment,
despite attempts from some countries to engage the Burmese government
and criticism that isolating the government has not produced significant
results.

The ILO will examine the issue of forced labor in Burma at its annual
assembly next week.

______________________MONEY________________________

AP: Thai businessmen protest closure of checkpoints at Myanmar border

MAE SOT, Thailand (AP) _ About 100 Thais rallied at a Thai military base
near the border with Myanmar Saturday, protesting the temporary closure
of five crossing points to regulate the trade in furniture and other
wood products.
 Sarayoot Thanapanyo, vice chairman of a local wood product
entrepreneurs' association that organized the demonstration, claimed the
restrictions were costing Thai businesses in northwestern Tak province
more than 5 million baht (dlrs 113,600) a day.

 As well as closing the checkpoints, authorities have prohibited the
transport inland of wood products already brought to the Thai side of
the border.

 Col. Suksin Klansanau, commander of the army's Task Force 13 based at
Mae Sot, 370 kilometers (230 miles) northeast of Bangkok, said the
restrictions had been put in place by the military since Wednesday at
the request of the Thai forestry department.

 They would be lifted as soon as the department had set up new
procedures to regulate the trade, he said.

 Authorities are concerned that Thai teak is being illegally logged in
the forests at the border, exported to sawmills and workshops in Myanmar
to evade inspection, and then reimported as finished products into
Thailand.

 The five closed border checkpoints lie along the Moei River border with
Myanmar, also known as Burma. However, the main crossing point in the
region, the Thai-Myanmar Friendship Bridge at Mae Sot, remains open.

_______________________GUNS________________________

DVB: Ethnic groups clash with military near gas pipeline zone in south

Text of report by Democratic Voice of Burma on 7 November

DVB has learned that a combined group of Karen commandoes from the KNU
[Karen National Union] Central Headquarters and members of Col Pan Nyunt
faction of the New Mon State Party [NMSP] were involved in the assault
near the vicinity of the natural gas pipeline in Yebyu Township of Tavoy
District in the past few days.
A battle broke out when the regional SPDC battalion, combing the area
after they received news that the KNU commandoes were preparing to
attack the natural gas pipeline, clashed with the guerrillas. In the
earlier reports the SPDC regional battalions were unable to identify the
attackers but according to local people they were from the NMSP faction
and KNU commandoes.

The combined Mon and Karen group numbers around 100 persons. They have
split into three smaller groups and are active along the natural gas
pipeline vicinity. Villagers who have acted as guides and porters told
the SPDC troops that the group possessed shoulder-fired rocket launchers
and rockets. The region is still declared an emergency zone and troops
from Military Operations Management Command No 9 and No 19 and from
battalions under the Coastal Region Military Command and Southeast
Military Command are combing the area to flush out the attackers.

Meanwhile, the War Office in Rangoon has issued an order prohibiting any
armed group from approaching and entering the natural gas pipeline zone.

Furthermore, severe action will be taken against any person guiding or
helping the armed national races rebels. According to the latest
reports, members of SPDC LIB [Light Infantry Battalion] No 62 and Col
Pan Nyunt's NMSP faction clashed near Leikkok Village in Ye Township.
The number of casualties is still not known.
Source: Democratic Voice of Burma, Oslo, in Burmese 1430 gmt 7 Nov 01

Shan Herald Agency for News: Wanton killings raise questions on alliance

Recent killings of 8 sawyers hired by the Wa army by a Burma army unit
left  no doubt that the friendly relations between the Wa and Rangoon
was merely  at the top and not down, said a border watcher this morning.

On 2 November, Lt-Thein Win of Company 4, LIB 360 (Mongpiang), on tour
of  duty at Nakawngmu, Mongton township, opposite Chiangmai province,
led some  20-men, all attired in camouflage, opened fire on 10 sawyers
who were  working in a forest 3½ miles east of the village. 8 of them, 6
Karens and 2  Lahus, were killed instantly. Only 2, 1 Karen and 1 Lahu,
managed to escape.

They had been hired by the Wa force in the area that had obtained a
permit  from the forestry department.

The unit later alluded the killings to the Shan State Army of Yawdserk,
whose 727th Brigade, commanded by Ternkhurh, was reported to be active
in  the township. But the survivors said they knew it was the Burmese
company  on duty at their village.

Two days later the same company, commanded by Captain Aung Myint,
arrested  Sai Mawng and his son, 18 year old Boon, from the gambling den
in the Wa  section of Nakawngmu. The two were charged with aiding and
abetting the SSA  raiders that attacked the sawyers two days earlier.
Villagers however said  the two men had, since their arrival from
Mongton three months ago, never  gone anywhere outside the immediate
neighborhood. "They were not even  gamblers, but only making a living by
selling food and refreshments,"  reported a source.

LIB 360 was responsible for security down to Border Pass-1, 27 miles
away.  It was replaced on the following day by LIB 281 from Mongpiang.
LIB 528 in  Pakhee, the scene of a two week long battle in April, was
also relieved by  LIB 328 from Mongkhark on 6 November.

Sources said the local Burmese units were increasingly getting
exasperated  with the "lack of cooperative spirit" from the Wa side.
"Every time they  tried to ask questions or make some inquiries, it
ended by getting the same  reply, 'Ask General Khin Nyunt if you wish to
know'".

The top Wa official in the area is Wei hsiao-ying, a.k.a. Sophon Jandee,
 younger brother of Wei Hsiao-kang.

Further Information:
The casino pays B. 30,000 to the Burmese army and B. 15,000 to the Wa
army  each month. The tract headman also enjoys a 10% cut.

_______________________DRUGS_______________________

Shan Herald Agency for News:  Poppy farmers pay tax to Burma Army

November 7, 2001

Sources from eastern Shan State told S.H.A.N. yesterday (6 November),
the first crop of the season along the border had been harvested
recently and farmers were paying tax to the local Burma Army units.

"It is B. 400 for every viss (1.6 kg) that we produce," said a villager
from Nakawngmu, 27 miles north of BP-1, opposite Chiangmai province.

Nakawngmu, once a small village in Mongton Township, Monghsat District,
became known as the district's "drug capital" soon after the surrender
of warlord Khun Sa's MongTai Army in 1996.

The price of opium, due to kind weather, is down from last year's. New
opium is B. 12, 000 per viss, while old opium fetches B. 17,000. The
price in January was B. 20,000, according to S.H.A.N. report on 23
January 2001.

S.H.A.N. however was unable to obtain information about current heroin
prices from the said sources.

There are 4 standing battalions in Mongton Township: IB 65, IB 225, IB
277 and LIB 519.

___________________ REGIONAL/INTERNATIONAL___________________

AFP: 'Golden opportunity' for change in Myanmar: UN envoy

UNITED NATIONS, Nov 9 (AFP) - Myanmar must act fast to capitalise on a
"golden opportunity" for change, but its critics abroad should
acknowledge a easing in its tortured political climate, a top UN envoy
said Friday.
 United Nations human rights envoy Paulo Sergio Pinheiro told reporters
that he believed that the junta and Aung San Suu Kyi's opposition had
made some progress, in a tentative year-long dialogue.
 "It is a golden opportunity for both sides, Myannmar must act swiftly,
immediately," said Pinheiro, less than a month after returning from his
second visit this year to the military-ruled state.

 "The international community must not waste this momentum to help to
support, to encourage, to acknowledge political change and human rights,
even small progress -- it must be encouraged and acknowledged," he said.

 Pinheiro met senior junta leaders including junta First Secretary
Lieutenant-General Khin Nyunt during his stay, as well as Aung San Suu
Kyi.

 He said Friday that Myanmar diplomats had invited him to return to the
country -- and he would try to visit in February or March next year.

 Pinheiro's visit had to be cut short as he fell ill, but he said he had
been able to travel outside the capital, Yangon, to meet regional
leaders in northern Shan state and the provincial city of Mandalay.

 Pinheiro said he was allowed access to prisoners in Mandalay, with no
apparent interference from the authorities, which he praised for
cooperating with his mission.

 "In my terms their behavior was perfect ... I met with every person
that I wanted ... I can't complain of access."

 A spokesman for the opposition National League for Democracy (NLD) last
month criticised Pinheiro for not meeting more prisoners, and complained
he was spending too much time with militia leaders.

 Aung San Suu Kyi's NLD won an overwhelming election victory in 1990
that was never recognised by the military government, which had ruled
Myanmar, the former Burma, in one form or another for decades.

 A recent dialogue between the opposition leader and the junta has been
conducted in strict secrecy. It is believed to still be at the
"confidence-building" stage.

 Myanmar faces a punishing range of economic sanctions due to its
suppression of the democracy movement, and up to the start of the
dialogue was frequently chastised by critics including Britain and the
United States.

Burma Media Association : Journalists Honored in Canadian Awards Gala

?Myo Myint Nyein is silence, but he is hear,? Governor General Andrienne
 Clarkson

By Tin Maung Htoo/Kyaw Tayza

Burma Media Association (www.bma-online.net)

Nov 8, 2001 Toronto- A Burmese prisoner of conscious and an exiled
Tajikistan have been honored with Canadian Press Freedom Awards in a
ceremony held this evening at Westin Harbor Castle in Toronto, with 600
attendance -- including once Canada?s famous journalist and now the
Governor General of Canada Andrienne Clarkson.

While this special event is carried out in the absent of one of the two
award-winners, Myo Myint Nyein, his daughter Dali Myo Myint Nyein
attended, symbolizing her father spirit and gave speech about her
appreciation for the award on her father?s behalf. Along with some
Burmese and Canadian activists, her spouse Phone Myint Htun and former
political prisoner Zin Linn also accompanied with her in the event.
The Canadian Journalists for Free Expression (CJFE), the organization
that bestowed the awards, also presented video shows about award winners
 and the decision of jury selection for these two journalists.

Myo Myint Nyein, an editor of Pay Phu Hlwar magazine and a member of
Information Department of National League for Democracy (NLD), was
sentenced to 7 years on charge of publishing literature critical of the
military government in 1990. And he was also one of 24 political
prisoners who advocated free media movement in Rangoon?s Insein prison.
For this he was sentenced additional 7 years imprisonment, along with
other 24 colleagues.

Dodojan Atovulloev, the publisher of Charogi Ruz (Daylight) newspaper
and one of the foremost journalists from Tajikistan, fled the country
after publishing articles exposing the corruption of government and
accusing the head of state of terrorism and drug-dealing. While
temporally staying in Russia, he was in instant pressure of deportation
and assassination. He again fled to Germany in 2001 with his family. He
is still publishing Charogi Ruz from Germany.

The Governor General described these two journalists as the ?real cell?
and could not be destroyed, praising their commitment and sacrificing
for freedom of expression, adding that ?Myo Myint Nyein is silence, but
he is hear.?

?The award is not only for my father, but also for all journalists and
writers being detained in Burma,? said Dali Myo Myint Nyein calling on
Canadian journalists and organizations to help demand the Burmese
military regime to set free of her father and all political prisoners in
 Burma. In her closing message, she said she is grateful to Canadian
Journalists for Free Expression, Canadian Newspaper Association and
Burma Media Association for making possible of this award.

______________________OTHER______________________

PD Burma: Calendar of events

 November 1st ? 16th : 282nd Session of the Governing Body, ILO

 December 1st : Worlds Aids Day

 December 8th : World wide celebration for the Nobel Peace Prize
for Aung San Suu Kyi www.burmapeacecampaign.org

 December 10th : 10th Year Anniversary of the Nobel Peace Prize
for Aung San Suu Kyi.

 14th January 2002 : 26th Session of CEDAW, New York. For more
info: www.un.org/womenwatch/daw/cedaw/committ

 February 2002 : The fourth Bangladesh, India, Burma, Sri Lanka
and Thailand-Economic Cooperation (BIMST- EC) meeting, Colombo

 February 12th 2002 : National Union Day in Burma (Official)

 March 4-15th 2002 : 46th Session of CSW, New York, :
www.un.org/womenwatch/daw/csw

 March 8th 2002 : International Women Day

 March 13th 2002 : Burma Human Rights Day (Unofficial)

 March 17-23rd 2002 : 107th Conference of the IPU, Morocco

 March/April 2002 : Commission on Human Rights, Geneva

 March 27th 2002 : Resistance Day in Burma

 April 4-6th 2002 : The Pacific Asia Travel Association will
hold the Seventh Mekong Tourism Forum in Rangoon, Burma

 May 27th 2002 : Anniversary of the 1990 election

 June 19th 2002 : Aung San Suu Kyi's birthday and Burmese
Women's Day

 July 2002 : ASEAN Ministerial Meeting (AMM)

 July 2002 : ASEAN Regional Forum (ARF)

 August 8th 2002 : Anniversary of the 8-8-88 uprising

 September 18th 2002 : Anniversary of SLORC Coup, 1988

 September 22-24th 2002 : ASEM Meeting, Copenhagen

 September 2002 : United Nations, General Assembly, New York

 October 2002 : Inter-Parliamentary Conference

 December 10th 2002 : World Human Rights Day

________________

The BurmaNet News is an Internet newspaper providing comprehensive
coverage of news and opinion on Burma  (Myanmar) from around the world.
If you see something on Burma, you can bring it to our attention by
emailing it to strider@xxxxxxxxxxxx

To automatically subscribe to Burma's only free daily newspaper in
English, send an email to:
burmanet-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

To subscribe to The BurmaNet News in Burmese, send an email to:

burmanetburmese-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You can also contact BurmaNet by fax:

(US) +1(413)604-9008

________________

Burma News Summaries available by email or the web

There are three Burma news digest services available via either email or
the web.

Burma News Update
Frequency: Biweekly
Availability: By fax or the web.
Viewable online at
http://www.burmaproject.org/burmanewsupdate/index.html
Cost: Free
Published by: Open Society Institute, Burma Project

The Burma Courier
Frequency: Weekly
Availability: E-mail, fax or post.  To subscribe or unsubscribe by email
celsus@xxxxxxxxxxx
Viewable on line at: http://www.egroups.com/group/BurmaCourier
Cost: Free
Note: News sources are cited at the beginning of an article.
Interpretive comments and background
details are often added.

Burma Today
Frequency: Weekly
Availability: E-mail
Viewable online at http://www.worldviewrights.org/pdburma/today.html
Cost: Free
Published by: PD Burma (The International Network of Political Leaders
Promoting Democracy in Burma)