EBO BURMA NEWS, 4 JULY 2003


News Summary:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Japan Dissatisfied with Myanmar Suu Kyi Response

2. Two witnesses to Myanmar violence seek UN protection in Bangkok

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Japan Dissatisfied with Myanmar Suu Kyi Response

July 4, 2003

 

By Elaine Lies

 

TOKYO (Reuters) - Japan says it is deeply disappointed with Myanmar's response

to the concerns it raised over detained opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi and

that it had no choice but to maintain its freeze on fresh aid.

 

Japan, a key aid donor, said last week it has frozen fresh assistance to impoverished

Myanmar to protest against the military government's detention of Suu Kyi and was

considering further punitive measures unless she was freed.

 

Foreign Minister Yoriko Kawaguchi was quoted by a Foreign Ministry official as telling

Khin Maung Win, a top aide to Myanmar junta leader Than Shwe, that Myanmar's

explanation of Suu Kyi's situation was "completely unacceptable."

 

"We cannot continue as if nothing has happened," she was quoted as saying in

a meeting in Tokyo with the aide. "Under the current situation, we have no choice

but to put off new aid."

 

Khin Maung Win responded by saying he would convey Japan's views to the "leaders"

of his nation, which the ministry official said could be interpreted as meaning Than Shwe.

 

Kawaguchi repeated Japan's demand that Suu Kyi and other members of her National

League for Democracy (NLD) be swiftly freed, along with allowing the opposition

group -- which won a landslide election victory in 1990 but has never been allowed

to govern -- to freely engage in political activities.

 

She said Myanmar had made no apparent progress in that area.

 

Khin Maung Win brought with him to Tokyo a letter from Than Shwe in reply to

one from Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi last month, but the Foreign

Ministry official said it appeared shed no new light on Suu Kyi's situation.

 

Khin Maung Win showed Kawaguchi pictures of Suu Kyi that were said to show her

in captivity and added that she had been moved since June 10, when United Nations

envoy Razali Ismail met her and described her conditions as "deplorable".

But he did not give any details on where she was currently being held.

 

Kawaguchi said that if Suu Kyi could not be released quickly, then she should

at least be able to meet people regularly.

 

----------------------------------

 

Two witnesses to Myanmar violence seek UN protection in Bangkok

 

BANGKOK, July 4 (AFP) - Two Myanmar pro-democracy activists who witnessed

the May 30 riots that triggered opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi's detention

are seeking UN protection after fleeing to Thailand, officials said Friday.

 

The two men, both members of Aung San Suu Kyi's National League for

Democracy (NLD), had planned to publicly reveal their account of the violence

but the press conferences were cancelled due to fears they would be arrested.

 

After testifying before the Senate Foreign Affairs Committee they instead

went directly to the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) office in

Bangkok to apply for refugee status, said committee adviser Sunai Phasuk.

 

"Naturally they entered into Thailand without documents so they could

automatically be charged with illegal entry into Thailand. Under Thai law they

could be deported back into Burma immediately," he told AFP.

 

"They are witnesses to Black Friday so if they were handed over to Burma

their lives would be in extreme danger. So there is more than enough grounds

for them to be protected by the UNHCR."

 

The UNHCR, which has a policy of confidentiality, was not able to comment

on the application by the pair.

 

In the first direct account of the violence to emerge since May 30, the two

men said in sworn affidavits that they witnessed a brutal attack on Aung San

Suu Kyi's convoy as she carried out a political tour of northern Myanmar.

 

They said the attackers used rods to smash their way into Aung San Suu

Kyi's car and that she only escaped a beating because she did not emerge from

the vehicle, which was later able to speed off.

 

NLD vice-chairman Tin Oo who was travelling in another vehicle was wounded

on the head, and women in a third vehicle were dragged out, stripped and

bashed, said NLD youth wing member Wunna Maung.

 

"I saw the attackers jump onto them and wrapped the hair around their heads

and pounded the heads against the stone surface of the road, with all their

force," he said.

 

"From my mind, I still cannot get rid of the sight of people, covered in

blood, being beaten mercilessly and inhumanly."

 

                                                ###

 

If you do not wish to receive this daily newsletters, please reply

with your e-mail address and the "cancel" in the text section.

 

With many thanks,

Burma News

 

Euro-Burma Office

Square Gutenberg 11/2

1000 Brussels

Belgium

 

tel:  32 2 280 0691/280 2452

fax: 32 2 280 0310

e-mail: [email protected]