reply to Reverend U Rewata

>A REPLY TO REVEREND U REWATA
>
>BY: CHAO TZANG YAWNGHWE
>

>Firstly, I have met U Rewata and have great respect for him as a highly
knowledgeable Buddhist personage.  It is within character for U Rewata to
attribute to Khun Nyunt and SLORC leaders good intentions and Buddhist
morals.  In deed, it may well be that Khin Nyunt is a gentle Buddhist with
good morals.  However, the fact is that Khin Nyunt and companions are actors
on a political stage, and they have, as Ne Win's henchmen, and as
powerholding, political "soldiers", committed crimes against Burma and the
Taingyintha (including the Bama people).  They are holding the whole country
hostage at gunpoint. They say they are soldiers, and wear appropriate
uniforms and colored ribbons, but they have not acted like soldiers.
Uniforms do not a soldier make, as goes an old saying.

>U Rewata is no doubt aware -- who isn't -- of the claims being made by
SLORC (morning, noon and night) that soldiers are the saviors of Burma, that
they have done much for the country, and so forth.  But what are the facts?
Everyone knows what the fact are, including U Rewata.

>The people of  Burma would be eternally grateful to U Rewata if he is able
to transform Khin Nyunt, Than Shwe, Kyaw Ba, and those wearing uniforms into
genuine soldiers.  This is all that the country wants of them, and this is
what Daw Aungsan Suukyi's wishes for Burma.

>Being genuine soldiers means being the servant of the people and the
country, not lords and masters.  Real soldiers do not rape, pillage,
plunder, or engage in shady business deals, such as selling the people's
birth rights.  If those in uniform wish to be ministers and leaders, all
they have to do is to doff their uniforms, and become politicians like
everyone else, or like Bogyoke Aung San (that's a very good model to
follow).  And if they wish to become millionaires, there is nothing to
prevent them form giving up their guns and arm themselves with mobile
phones, calculators, fax machines, etc., like real businessmen.  Let us not
have the childish nonsense of soldiers being everything, and entitled to
rule just because they kill and main their own citizens.

>U Rewata misses the point entirely in alluding to the need for Daw Aungsan
Suukyi to compromise with "patriotic" soldiers.  The problem is that in
Burma, so-called soldiers like Khin Nyunt do not seem to know what a genuine
soldier is, and by inference, their understanding of the meaning of
"patriotism" must also be doubted.

>I therefore urge U Rewata to spend a year in Burma, continuously, instead
of flying in and out, and do what he can to make "soldiers", such as Khin
Nyunt and the rest get a grip on what being "patriot soldiers" entails.  If
he can accomplish this, he, not Aungsan Suukyi, will be the real savior of
Burma, and he will be thus honored like Bogyoke Aung San, for many
generations to come.