KHRG #98-04 Part 5/7 (Camp attacks)

                    ATTACKS ON KAREN REFUGEE CAMPS: 1998

           An Independent Report by the Karen Human Rights Group
                     May 29, 1998     /     KHRG #98-04

  *** PART 5 OF 7; SEE OTHER POSTINGS FOR OTHER PARTS OF THIS REPORT ***

                                 #H8.
NAME:    "Naw K'Paw Wah"  SEX: F   AGE: 45     Sgaw Karen Buddhist
FAMILY:  Married, 5 children aged 2-16         INTERVIEWED: 16/3/98
ADDRESS: Hlaing Bwe township, Pa'an District; now in Huay Kaloke refugee
camp

["Naw K'Paw Wah" has been in Section 4 of Huay Kaloke camp for four
years.  Her house was right at the edge of the open field in the middle of
the camp, and she was wounded in the attack.]

Q:  When did you start running?
A:  When we heard ta-ta-ta-ta-ta! [she made the sound of automatic fire]
we ran out of my house.  I had no watch but I guess it was midnight.  We
carried our children and ran.  Then we laid down beside our house.  When
we heard it the second time we ran beside the monastery and to the fields,
not far from the banana garden.  I stayed there for quite a long time, and
after that I came back home again.  When I came back I saw them [the
soldiers] coming by.  I was hidden behind the toilets when they came.
They came along the main road [the camp's main thoroughfare], then they
went to the market.  They marched quickly, chouay chouay chouay [she
made the sound of rapid marching].  They were in a group, many soldiers,
you couldn't count.  Maybe around 30 soldiers.  They didn't see me but I
saw them clearly.  They were very close.  The distance between me and
them was the length of a house.  If I had looked carefully I could have
seen
the badges on their arms because of the light of the fire, but I didn't
look at
them very carefully because of the fire.  They carried guns.  Some of them
wore Burmese military uniforms and some of them wore streaked
uniforms.  Two of them wore white shirts.  Some had caps and some had
Burmese military hats.  I heard them speak only in Karen, Sgaw Karen.

They were coming along and burning the houses along their way.  The
houses burned down quickly because the roofs were made of thatch.
When I came back, Section 1 had already burned down completely, and
Sections 3, 4, and 5 were burning.  When the soldiers arrived, three of
them entered my house.  They didn't see me.  If they had seen me I don't
know what they would have said to me.  I heard some people say that
when the soldiers saw people they threatened to kill them.  I hid myself.
My children were already in the field, hiding behind the paddy-dikes.

My husband was together with me.  He told me that our children are more
precious than the possessions in our house, so he asked me to go to the
children.  So after the soldiers had passed by, I hurried and ran to the
children, while he stayed here and watched.  The soldiers passed through
the field here [in the middle of the camp], but they couldn't see me
because
I was behind a paddy-dike.  I didn't dare to go at first because there was
big fire.  Afterwards, I escaped from the fire and ran to the monastery.  A

monk told me to run that way but I said, "I can't go that way, my children
are over there [the other way]".  When I kept on running on the high
ground, they saw me and followed me, and the bullets landed nearer and
nearer to me.  Many bullets and shells flew over me.  When I reached a
tree I heard the sound of the guns so I laid down on my belly, near the
banana trees and the teak tree at the edge of the camp.  The bullets flew
beside me, ta-ta-ta-ta-ta!  I laid there quietly.  When the bullets stopped

flying, I tried to lift up my body.  As soon as I lifted up my buttocks,
something hit them and knocked me back down again.  I looked up in the
tree to see the fruit but I saw that there was no fruit, so then I knew it
was
a shell that had hit me!  The shell didn't penetrate my buttock, it
disappeared after it hit me.  I don't know where it flew.  At that time
there
was fire everywhere.  So I prayed, "Lord, please take care of me", because
I thought that I would die.  It was really painful and aching.  I couldn't
stand up.  Then I called my son, "Hay Glaw! Hay Glaw!" He answered me,
"Wai".   I thought to myself that I wouldn't be able to go to my children,
but I tried to go to my children.  I could partly stand up, then I pulled
my
leg [she demonstrated trying to walk doubled over, gasping and limping].
I was bleeding.  My children were in front of me, a little far from me,
about 10 metres away, but when I reached the place where they were they
were sitting down, looking at me sadly.  I told them that I'd been wounded
by a shell.  Then I saw a man and I called him.  "Wai, Doh Pu Sha!"
["Hallo, friend!"]  He didn't answer anything to me, so I laid down for a
while.  I saw a monk.  I called the monk and asked him to send me my
husband.  He agreed but he disappeared for a long time and I didn't see my
husband coming.  Then I saw a woman and called her.  I asked her for
some tobacco because I wanted to smoke and she gave me some.  When I
was smoking, everyone who walked by came to see me.

Some people told the Thai soldiers about me and the Thai soldiers came to
me.  At that time my husband was arriving.  The Thai soldiers asked my
husband to carry me.  He was going to take me to the monastery but I said
that there's no hospital in the camp, so I'd rather go where the Thai
soldiers
asked me to go.  Then they sent me to the water truck [the Thai fire
truck].
I waited for a long time.  There was no hospital car coming.  The water
truck started to leave, then the hospital car arrived and my husband put me

in the hospital car.  Inside that car the wind was blowing.  I looked for
the
window that was open but the windows were closed.  I couldn't understand
how the wind could blow through the glass of the car, but the wind blew a
lot and made me very cold [she had never experienced air conditioning
before].  My husband thought that I was unconscious and he called me,
"Naw, Naw" and I answered him, "It is cold".  When I reached the hospital
the nurse put some medicine on my wound and put me in a bed.  I covered
myself with a sarong, I was shivering cold.  The nurses came and looked at
me, then they put me in another bed with blankets.  Then I was warmed up
and I slept all night until the morning.

Q:  What did the shell look like that hit you?
A:  I don't know because I couldn't see because of the dark night.  I just
guess.  A small shell I think.  A kind of shell that has yellow colour on
the
top and black on the bottom.  It was a little bit bigger than a banana.  It
hit
my buttock right here [she was very lucky, because it appears that she was
hit by an M79 grenade that didn't explode].
                               #H9.
NAME:    "Saw Hsah Hay Mu"  SEX: M   AGE: 33   Sgaw Karen Christian
FAMILY:  Married, 2 children aged 2 and 4      INTERVIEWED: 18/3/98
ADDRESS: Pa'an Township; now in Section 1 of Huay Kaloke refugee camp

["Saw Hsah Hay Mu" is a medic in Huay Kaloke camp, where he has lived
since 1984.]

Q:  Can you explain what happened that night?
A:  That night we were on duty.  During the night we spoke together about
rabies and also about the patients.  We discussed a patient who had
cerebral malaria.  Then we talked more about malaria, because some
teachers were coming to teach us how to see it in a microscope.  We had to
practise looking in the microscope to know how to see the parasite.  We
went to sleep at 10 p.m. and we slept for one or two hours.  Maybe at
about 12 p.m. we heard a car coming into the camp.  It stopped near the
hospital and then went further than the hospital, to the corner of Section
1
near the fields.  Somebody saw two motorcycles in front of the car and two
behind, but I didn't see the car or the motorcycles, I just heard the
noise.
When the car would have been nearly back to the gate, it [the attack]
happened.

It started with small guns, then just after that big shells landed near the

hospital.  After I heard the guns I went to run outside with my family.
Before I got outside my wife opened the door, and she got injured in front
of our house.  She was hit by a bullet and she started bleeding.  At the
beginning she was bleeding a lot, but then the bleeding decreased bit by
bit
so I told her, "Let's get away, you can't stay here for long.  We have to
run
away."  After that DKBA and SLORC came almost to where we were.
They spoke mostly Karen.  Some spoke Burmese but the others said to
them, "Don't speak Burmese, you have to speak Karen.  What did the
leader tell you before coming here?  You have to speak Karen."  So after
that they spoke only in Karen.

Q:  So you saw the soldiers?
A:  Yes, I saw the soldiers in the fields.  We were sitting together in the

fields and they came around us.  A lot of people were in the fields, maybe
a hundred.  The other villagers came from section 2, section 3, and also
from section 4.  About fifteen or sixteen soldiers surrounded us.  They
looked at us carefully and then they said, "We will kill you all if you
don't
of us they continued to burn the houses.  We went further into the fields.

We couldn't stand near where they were burning the houses because it was
too hot, very hot for our families.  So we had to run away.  We stayed in
the fields the whole time until the morning.

Q:  Did you see what they were wearing?
A:  Yes, I saw their uniforms very well.  They were like Thai soldiers'
uniforms [he showed a jacket with camouflage pattern as an example].
There were also some plain green uniforms.  I saw badges on their
uniforms, we call it the Bandoola badge [the standard red-and-white
Burmese Army badge].  But I couldn't see their [Battalion] numbers,
because when they saw me they said to me, "I will kill you".  They wore
baseball-style caps and some wore Burmese military hats.  Just some of
them had caps.  A lot had black hats this shape [like a Burmese Army hat],
and some had round black hats this shape [a beret].  Some had a yellow
scarf around their necks.  The others didn't have yellow scarves because
they were not DKBA.  I could recognise that.  I'm sure that they were
Burmese soldiers.  The Burmese were wearing Burmese military hats.

Q:  Is your wife better now?
A:  My wife is cured but I could not find the bullet so it is still
painful.  I
couldn't see the bullet.  It is still inside, but I didn't send my wife to
Mae
Sot hospital.  I can cure her, but maybe later it will be necessary to
remove
it.  I can remove it if the wound disappears.

Q:  What do you think they are going to do now with the camp?
A:  If they move the camp it would be better for us, because if we stay
here I think that the same thing will happen again.  If we continue to stay

here the camp will be burned again.  But if we have to move to Beh Klaw,
I won't go.  In Beh Klaw the security is not good either.
                                #H10.
NAME:     "Saw Eh Doh Htoo"  SEX: M  AGE: 30   Sgaw Karen Christian
FAMILY:   Married, 5 children aged 1-13        INTERVIEWED: 18/3/98
ADDRESS:  Nyaunglebin District; now in Huay Kaloke refugee camp

["Saw Eh Doh Htoo" has been in Huay Kaloke camp for fourteen years.
He stays in Section 1.]

Q:  Can you tell me what happened that night?
A:  I can tell.  That night at 11:46 p.m., I saw one car and six
motorcycles
coming.  The car was a small jeep.  It was an old car.  I didn't see the
car's
number because it was night time and they didn't have their lights on.  I
think I saw six soldiers in the car and two on each motorcycle, six
motorcycles.  All wore streaked [camouflage] uniforms and they had
weapons but I didn't see what weapons.  They came from section ten, from
the market.  When they arrived they didn't turn their lights on.  They made

a lot of noise and when they came back they also made a big noise.  When
they arrived at Section One they stopped for about 5 minutes near the
stream, then they went further than our house so I didn't see them.  Then I

saw them coming back.  We didn't see them getting out in Section One,
but maybe they got out in another spot, we don't know.  They still had
their
lights off.  After they'd been gone for about 30 or 45 minutes, the
shooting
started.

Q:  What do you think was the nationality of the men on the motorcycles?