AFP : NLD tells supporters not to c (r)

hlaing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> NLD tells supporters not to confront Myanmar junta on crackdown anniversary

> Sat 08 Aug 98 - 06:56 GMT

> YANGON, Aug 8 (AFP) - Myanmar's leading opposition party has told
> supporters not to seek confrontation with country's junta during the bitter
> 10th anniversary Saturday of a military crackdown on pro-democracy
> demonstrators which left thousands dead, a diplomatic source said.

> The order was intended to avoid violence between junta forces and the
> National League for Democracy (NLD) followers.

   If the NLD issued that order with sincere heart, I personally thank NLD. It
is an act of praise-worthy. But if the issue was coming out only after the
agitation to confront the Government was unsuccessful, it is another case.
Only the NLD leadership will know whether it is sincere or not.

> "They said they were not to seek confrontation with the government," the
> diplomat said.

> Political tensions have escalated in Myanmar in recent weeks in the lead-up
> to Saturday's anniversary and ahead of an August 21 deadline set by the NLD
> for the junta to convene parliament or face unspecified consequences.

> The NLD-led opposition won 1990 polls by a landslide but the junta has
> refused to relinquish power.

> There had been fears of unrest during the anniversary, but Yangon was quiet
> and calm Saturday.

> Foreign diplomats said there could be sporadic demonstrations or other
> expressions of dissent but did not expect any major incidents.

During these days the NLD HQ issued many statements and these staments were
posted to BurmaNet, MAYKHA and SCB both in Burmese and English. I tried to
read every statements but I admit that I missed some to read.

Can someone point out the statement no. and date in which the NLD instructed
its supporters not to confront.

ok