Undesirable Political Gridlock betw (r)

Comments:
=========

Dear Julien,

On the contrary, the invitation itself was obviously highly conditional,
one-sided and unfair for the NLD. So, for these reasons, the NLD had
turned down the offer. They should not playdown the seriousness of this
type of meeting at all for goodness sake. Besides, it was not the first
time that the SPDC had pursued the same type of contact. It was
regretable that there was no sign of progress from the side of SDPC in
this aspect. The regime must not try to brush away the problems and
decide to deal with them when things started to get out of hand.

( We are sure that SPDC would feel the same, if NLD exclude Khin Nyunt
out of the planned meeting and ask Senior General Than Shwe to meet
anyone of the CEC member of the NLD party as a frist contact. So, let's
be honest.)

To be fair and sincere, any planned meeting should not have any
preconditions and a clear agenda of the meeting should be clearly spelt
out so that both parties are well prepared. Any invitation for the
meeting of this nature should be made public and transparent.

The gravity of the situations in Burma so grave that we no longer need
for further in depth analysis now. The truth is, the economy is failing
and voilation of human rights are at its peak in Burma and the SPDC has
lost all its credibilty within the country. Meet the call for an
unconditional dialogue with the NLD or face the consequences of the
ultimatum to convene the parliament before August 21, given to the SPDC
by the NLD.

It is now facing unprecedented peaceful, non-violent protests and
rejections inside the country, within the ASEAN grouping and also from
the world's community at large. Though outright rejection or
interference from the ASEAN had not been made, it won't be long before
it came. ( NOTE: All ASEAN nations have shown their supports when
President Suharto stepped down and gave up his power not so long ago.
While they are bound to their non-interference policy, they were not
hesitent to show their supports when certain timely and right political
transitions were in the making. )

Let the unconditional, sincere and fair tripartite talks begin.

In soliderity with the NLD's movements,

Minn Kyaw Minn
==============

>From notes@xxxxxxx Sat Aug  8 21:56:33 1998
>Date: 08 Aug 1998 21:31:59
>From: moe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Undesirable Political Gridlock between SPDC & NLD,voted and
elected
>To: Recipients of burmanet-l <burmanet-l@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>Dear NCGUB & NLD Representatives worldwide,
>
>                   I do have a strong desire to express myself
regarding the
>SPDC's offer to have a dialogue with NLD Leader U Aung Shwe.I believe
NLD
>should have a dialogue with SPDC.I am expressing this opinion of mine
as a
>concerned Burmese citizen, not as an activist. No matter what the
conditions
>are, NLD should accept to talk with SPDC. The peace talks between PLO
and
>Israel ,sponsored by the United States started from low level talks and
when
>it seemed to work out well, higher level dialogues followed.U Aung Shwe
>should meet the SPDC official and  If SPDC's terms and conditions were
>one-sided and not fair for NLD,voted and elected by the people,the
dialogue
>should be discontinued. All decent Burmese citizens inside and outside
Burma