AFP : 8 stories of detained forei

Myanmar junta blasts foreign activists, but offers consular access
Tue 11 Aug 98 - 04:50 GMT

YANGON, Aug 11 (AFP) - Myanmar's Tuesday accused a group of 18 foreign
activists detained here of being "agents saboteur" who were trying to
incite riots and bloodshed.
"On the face of it, the distribution of subversive literature is tantamount
to incitement to riot, with street violence (and) bloodshed," an editorial
in the New Light of Myanmar daily said.
A news story covering the arrests in the same paper was headlined: "Agents
saboteur caught in the act of inciting social unrest."
The activists were rounded up Sunday and accused of inciting unrest in the
military state amid escalating political tensions by handing out pamphlets
promoting human rights and democracy.
They are to stand trial, a junta spokesman said Monday, adding their
offences were being taken seriously and that they must be made an example
of to deter others.
Diplomats whose nationals were among those detained said they had been
denied consular access and that they had received no formal notification
they would be charged.
The announcement that the 18 would stand trial came in a Burmese language
statement shortly after a junta spokesman told journalists and diplomats at
separate briefings that no decision had been made whether to press charges
or simply deport the 18.
The detainees were six US nationals, three Thais, three Malaysians, three
Indonesians, two Filipinos and one Australian, the junta said. Ten were
male and eight female.
The Thai foreign ministry has identified its nationals as Jaran Ditapichai,
52, a lecturer at Bangkok's Rangsit University, Sawas Upahat, 37, of the
non-government organisation Forum of the Poor, and Chanakan Phandemwong,
22, a student at Thammasat University in Bangkok.
The Australian was identified as Alison Vicary, 35, and was believed to be
an academic in Sydney. Details of the others were not immediately
available.
They are being held at two separate police installations.
The US state department Monday voiced deep concern at Myanmar's rebuff to
US officials seeking access to the six detained US nationals.
"By now we would expect to have access through our consular officials,"
added the department in a statement issued in Washington.
US officials have repeatedly sought and been denied contact with the six,
it said.
"We are deeply concerned by the government's unwillingness to follow normal
consular procedure. Furthermore, we have not been formally informed of the
specific allegations against the Americans that led to their arrest," it
said.
"We understand they are detained under suspicion of distributing
pamphlets," it said, adding that this "seems to be consistent with the
government's repression of all forms of freedom of expression."
However, a junta spokesman Tuesday said consular access was available to
all the concerned embassies. He would not comment on the possible outcome
of the case against the 18, who could be charged under three separate laws
allowing for hefty prison terms.
"The legal process is underway and (it) will be premature to give comment
on the outcome at this moment," he added in a statement.
"In the meantime, consular access is available to concerning embassies at
formal request."
The group was handing out pamphlets in Yangon promoting human rights and
democracy and urging people to remember the 10th anniversary last Saturday
of a bloody military crack-down on pro-democracy demonstrators which left
thousands dead, according to unofficial tolls.
It also comes amid heightened political tensions in the lead-up to an
August 21 deadline set by the leading National League for Democracy (NLD)
for the junta to convene parliament or face unspecified consequences.
The NLD-led opposition won 1990 polls by a landslide but the junta has
refused to relinquish power.
----------------------
Indonesian activists protest arrests of colleagues, foreigners in Myanmar
Tue 11 Aug 98 - 04:41 GMT

JAKARTA, Aug 11 (AFP) - A group of some 20 Indonesian activists Tuesday
picketted the Myanmar embassy here to demand the release of 18 activists,
including three Indonesians, arrested by the military junta in Yangon.

Two of the arrested Indonesian activists were from the Pijar pro-democracy
group.
The activists condemned the arrests and shouted demands for Yangon to
release the detainees, arrested in Yangon Monday, and respect freedom of
expression.
They also waved banners reading "Release all political detainees," and
"Halt the demilitarizatrion of Burma," before dispersing peacefully.
The Myanmar junta Monday arrested the 18 foreign activists for distributing
pro-opposition leaflets ahead of the anniversary of the 1988 pro-democracy
uprising in the country.
On Monday, the junta said in a statement in Yangon that the 18 would face
trial for allegedly seeking to incite unrest.
The detainees were six US nationals, three Thais, three Malaysians, three
Indonesians, two Filipinos, and one Australian, the junta said. Ten of them
were men and eight were women.
The three Indonesians were identified as Pijar activists Suleiman Heikal
and Christian Evert, and Fajri, of Indonesia's Alliance of Independent
Journalists, the Republika daily said.
----------------------------------
Thai rights groups calls for release of foreigners detained in Myanmar
Tue 11 Aug 98 - 09:23 GMT

BANGKOK, Aug 11 (AFP) - A Thai rights group called Tuesday for the
unconditional release of all 18 foreigners detained in Myanmar for handing
out pro-democracy leaflets.
The Asian Forum for Human Rights and Development, representing several
smaller non-governmental organisations and student bodies, also demanded
that Myanmar's junta respect international treaties on human rights and
guarantee the detainees' safety.
The Thai government should become more involved by protesting the
"innocence" of three Thais who were among those detained in Yangon on
Sunday, it said in a statement.
"The Thai government should confirm with the Burmese government and the
international community that all 18 people, particularly the three Thais,
are innocent," it added.
"What they have done was based on humanitarian and democratic principles
which Thailand and other countries uphold."
The detainees were six US nationals, three Thais, three Malaysians, three
Indonesians, two Filipinos and one Australian, the junta said earlier,
adding 10 were male and eight female.
They were being held at two police facilities at Yangon, facing charges for
allegedly trying to incite civil unrest by handing out the leaflets
promoting democracy and human rights.
--------------------------------
Detained activists in Myanmar could be sentenced to deportation at trial
Tue 11 Aug 98 - 07:40 GMT

YANGON, Aug 11 (AFP) - Eighteen foreign activists detained in Myanmar for
allegedly attempting to incite unrest will be tried on criminal charges but
may simply be sentenced to deportation, a defence ministry source said
Tuesday.
The government was committed to following established legal process and
bringing them before the courts, he added.
"When we say neccessary action, we mean legal action," the source said.
"And we must go through process of law. They will have to go to court to be
sentenced. They would still have to be charged and tried and sentenced,
even if they are only deported."
A junta spokesman said officials were still trying to decide what action to
take against the detainees, who comprise six US nationals, three Thais,
three Malaysians, three Indonesians, two Filipinos and one Australian. Ten
are male and eight female and they are being held at two Yangon police
installations, the junta said earlier.
"The ministry of home affairs is working together with the legal
departments and will come up with a legal point of view," the spokesman
added.
"Based on that, a decision will be made. At the present moment, the
concerned departments are working together to be able to present the legal
aspect of the case to the relevant officials," he said.
-------------------------------------
Diplomats demand access to foreign activists facing charges in Myanmar
Tue 11 Aug 98 - 08:09 GMT
YANGON, Aug 11 (AFP) - Diplomats Tuesday demanded to visit 18 foreign
activists on their third day of detention here and facing criminal charges
for handing out leaflets promoting human rights and democracy.
A defence ministry source said Mynamar's military leaders were committed to
following established legal process and bringing the 18 before the courts.
"When we say necessary action, we mean legal action," the source said.
"And we must go through process of law. They will have to go to court to be
sentenced. They would still have to be charged and tried and sentenced,
even if they are only deported."
But the junta said any embassy whose nationals were among the detainees
would be allowed to see them if they made a formal request.
"We have made a formal request and they say they will give access," said
one diplomat whose nationals were among those detained handing out leaflets
in the Myanmar capital Sunday.
"But 'will' is the word. They haven't told us when it's going to happen."
Another diplomat involved in the case said their embassy had made repeated
requests to see their nationals without success.
However, a junta spokesman Tuesday said consular access was available to
all the concerned embassies. He would not comment on the possible outcome
of the case against the 18, who could be charged under three separate laws
allowing for hefty prison terms.
"The legal process is underway and (it) will be premature to give comment
on the outcome at this moment," he added in a statement.
"In the meantime, consular access is available to concerning embassies at
formal request."
The detainees were six US nationals, three Thais, three Malaysians, three
Indonesians, two Filipinos and one Australian, the junta said, adding 10
were male and eight female. They were being held at two police offices in
Yangon.
The US State Department Monday voiced deep concern at Myanmar's rebuff to
US officials seeking to consult with the six US detainees.
"By now we would expect to have access through our consular officials,"
added the department in a statement issued in Washington.
US officials have repeatedly sought and been denied contact with the six,
it said.
"We are deeply concerned by the government's unwillingness to follow normal
consular procedure. Furthermore, we have not been formally informed of the
specific allegations against the Americans that led to their arrest," it
said.
"We understand they are detained under suspicion of distributing
pamphlets," it said, adding this "seems to be consistent with the
government's repression of all forms of freedom of expression."
Myanmar's official media Tuesday accused the activists of being "agents
saboteur" who were trying to incite riots.
"On the face of it, the distribution of subversive literature is tantamount
to incitement to riot, with street violence (and) bloodshed," an editorial
in the New Light of Myanmar daily said.
A junta spokesman said officials were still trying to decide what action to
take against the detainees.
"The ministry of home affairs is working together with the legal
departments and will come up with a legal point of view," the spokesman
added.
"Based on that, a decision will be made."
The group was handing out pamphlets in Yangon promoting human rights and
democracy and urging people to remember the 10th anniversary last Saturday
of a bloody military crackdown on pro-democracy demonstrators which left
thousands dead, according to unofficial tolls.
The incident comes amid heightened political tensions ahead of an August 21
deadline set by leading opposition party National League for Democracyfor
the junta to convene parliament or face unspecified consequences.
The NLD-led opposition won 1990 polls by a landslide but the junta has
refused to relinquish power.

----------------------------
Foreign diplomats to be given access to detained activists in Yangon
Tue 11 Aug 98 - 09:37 GMT

BANGKOK, Aug 11 (AFP) - Foreign diplomats said they were Tuesday to meet
with a total of 18 of their nationals detained in Yangon for allegedly
attempting to incite unrest.

"We are seeing them at different times in the afternoon," one added.
The diplomats would meet separately with their own nationals. No further
details were immediately available.
Myanmar's junta earlier Tuesday said any embassy whose nationals were among
the detainees would be allowed to see them if they made a formal request.
However, diplomats complained they had been refused access since the 18
were detained Sunday.
[...]
---------------------------
Philippine envoy granted access to detained Filipinos in Myanmar
Tue 11 Aug 98 - 10:50 GMT

MANILA, Aug 11 (AFP) - Philippine Foreign Secretary Domingo Siazon on
Tuesday sharply denounced Myanmar for refusing access to two Filipinos
detained in Yangon, warning Manila would file a diplomatic protest if this
was not granted.
Foreign Undersecretary Lauro Baja at the same time summoned Myanmar's envoy
to Manila, San Thein, to demand an explanation why Philippine Ambassador to
Yangon Sonia Brady has been denied access to the Filipinos.
Filipino human rights activists picketed the Myanmar embassy here,
condemning the arrests and demanding the release of their colleagues.
The Filipinos were among 18 foreigners, including Americans, Malaysians,
Indonesians, Thais and an Australian, who were arrested Sunday in Yangon
for handing out leaflets supporting democracy and respect for human rights.
"If they continue to deny us consular access, we will protest," Siazon told
journalists.
"I'm not about to engage in gunboat diplomacy (but) they have two of my
nationals," said Siazon, a vocal advocate of a policy to openly criticize
fellow members of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) on
issues that affect the region.
Baja bluntly told the Myanmarese ambassador that: "We want them (Myanmar
authorities) to grant access to the embassy, whether they are charged or
not, detained or not, or held in questioning."
He was apparently reacting to claims by Myanmar officials the foreigners
were merely being held for questioning but not under detention.
In a telephone call to the foreign department here late Tuesday, Brady said
she has been granted access to the Filipinos for 8:30 p.m. (1400 GMT).
Baja said the Philippines was consulting with other ASEAN members to draw
up a common approach on Myanmar, which was admitted to the grouop last year
despite opposition from the United States and other major powers.
"It is still subject to consultation if there will be an ASEAN approach. It
will carry numerical weight if we do that," Baja said.
ASEAN groups Brunei, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines,
Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam. The group has been allergic to making
public comments on the internal affairs of members.
During a meeting of ASEAN foreign ministers in Manila last month, Siazon
and Thai Foreign Minister Surin Pitsuwan strongly advocated a policy shift
in favor of more open criticism which sparked vigorous opposition from the
seven other members.
Philippine President Joseph Estrada on Tuesday ordered the foreign
department to "extend all assistance" to two Filipinos being detained in
Myanmar.
"We will extend to them all assistance due to every distressed Filipino
abroad. We must help them because they are our fellow Filipinos," Estrada
said.
--------------------
Foreign diplomats visit detained activists in Yangon
Tue 11 Aug 98 - 11:56 GMT
BANGKOK, Aug 11 (AFP) - Diplomats Tuesday said they had started a series of
meetings with a total of 18 of their nationals detained in the Myanmar
capital Yangon for allegedly attempting to incite unrest.
The detainees, apprehended Sunday while handing out pro-democracy leaflets
in the capital, were healthy and in good spirits, according to embassies
whose officials had already attended the meetings.
"We are able to report that their health is okay," said a US embassy
spokesman, after two consular officials met six US nationals at the city's
police headquarters for some 90 minutes.
"They are not complaining about their treatment. They are eating all right.
The received their personal effects today," the spokesman added, saying the
officials were able to give the detainees some books and additional food.
The detainees expressed concern their families were worrying about them and
this had been relayed to the families.
Three Thai detainees were also said to be in good spirits, according to
embassy staff, and Australian officials were due to meet the single
national from their country.
The other detainees comprise three Malaysians, three Indonesians and two
Filipinos.