Bkk Post - Editorial - The number i (r)

Subject: Re: Bkk Post - Editorial - The number is up in Rangoon

That was an interesting editorial in yesterday's Bangkok Post, worth re-reading.  In fact, the order from Rangoon to bar traffic into Burma on 9-9-99 seems to have been generally obeyed by Thai authorities, as a brief visit to the border area revealed yesterday.

About 200 meters from the MaeSot-Myawaddy bridge, the Thai military had set up a roadblock.  Cars, trucks, and motorcycles were stopped and passengers interrogated.  There was a collection of forlorn-looking Burmese youth on the side of the road under police guard.  These were the ones who didn't make it past the roadblock.

A student activist riding on the truck with us commented that 200 factory workers had massed at the border crossing this morning, but that 20 of their leaders had already been arrested by the police.

Arriving at the bridge, one could see the 5-meter high cyclone fence drawn shut across the access road.  Normally busy with commercial and pedestrian traffic, the bridge was completely deserted.  When questioned about the closure, Thai immigration officials would only say that it was from the Burmese side.  When did it close? Just today.  When would it be open again?  Only the famous Thai smile for a reply.

As we walked along the Thai side of the Moei river, past the shopping stalls filled with Burmese, Malaysian, and Chinese goods and, today, bereft of customers, a strange quiet filled the air.  The boats that normally ply the river crossing piled high with boxes of Thai packaged noodles and dishwashing liquid, lay along side the banks, their motors silent.  We passed a well-dressed Burmese man with a walkie-talkie who studiously avoided our gaze, as he went about his patrol on the Thai side.  Across the river, we could see the Burmese soldiers and MI agents gathered in groups, waiting for any signs of trouble.  But even the insects and the birds were invisible.  Everyone had gotten the message about today.

Be careful of cameras, said one Burmese student in our group, they will try to take your picture from the other side.

Later I stopped for a Thai green papaya salad in a small cafe near the river.  The walls of the bamboo hut were covered with posters with Thai and Burmese movie and music idols.  The only evidence of politics were the ubiquitous pictures of the Thai King and Queen.

What is so nice about Mae Sot is the easy mix of Thai residents and Burmese workers on the streets and in the markets.  The collection of different foods for sale is staggering.  Some Thai shopkeepers have even learned to speak Burmese.  The peaceful environment must be attributed to the super-tolerant Thai culture, and to the unspoken gratitude of their Burmese "guests".

There is also a large community of Burmese-Indian Muslims, with their mosque, their distinctive dress, and their small bakeries and restaurants, even in the poorest quarters.  And many Karen, who still speak their own language at home, but who are becoming more and more assimilated into the surrounding Thai culture.

Hill tribe women in costume appear on the market streets, gathered in small groups and trying to sort out what they must do in this booming metropolis before heading back out to their up-country villages.  Goats and cows still share the streets with the children, dogs, bicycles, trucks, the occasional Mercedes Benz, and of course the ubiquitous motorcycles.

It is a bit surprising to see how peaceful things are on this side, with all the problems with the military regime just across the border.  I wonder, too, just how more enjoyable it might be here, with an NLD government in Burma.