Low Tech Myanmar Says Y2K No Proble

Subject: Low Tech Myanmar Says Y2K No Problem

------=_NextPart_000_000F_01BF5715.098B0A20

      Low Tech Myanmar Says Y2K No Problem
      Fri 31 Dec 1999=20

      YANGON, Myanmar (AP) - Myanmar's lowly status as a developing =
nation is finally paying dividends. The government says the Y2K bug can =
do little damage in the largely computerless country.=20

      ``It is a blessing in disguise that many of the country's =
businesses and government departments still do much of their work =
manually,'' said an official for the country's Y2K preparedness =
committee.=20

      The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said government =
sectors which used computers, such as communications and civil aviation, =
should experience no problems.=20

      However, a warning in the state-run media saying that ``the whole =
world will face the Y2K problem on Dec. 31 at 2400 hours'' has sparked =
fears among people who had no previous knowledge of the millennium bug.=20

      ``I don't know what sort of danger the whole world will face on =
Dec. 31st. I will watch the sky at midnight and see what will fall from =
the sky,'' said a washerwoman living in a suburb of the capital.=20

      A 55-year-old bicycle repairmain said, ``I will switch off my =
television so that no virus can get into it.''=20

      Both declined to give their names, a common occurrence in the =
military-run country where most citizens are concerned about talking =
with reporters.=20

      State-controlled newspapers also warned computer users to guard =
against some viruses that could strike even Y2K-compliant computers =
beginning Jan. 1.=20

      The warning was issued by the National Supervisory Committee for =
Y2K, which had earlier obtained help from Japanese experts on coping =
with the Y2K problem. The committee has opened a hotline for public =
inquiries.=20

      Some major international hotels in Myanmar, also known as Burma, =
planned to shut down their elevators Friday night, and have brought in =
manual typewriters for check-ins and check-outs.=20

      Myanmar, a largely agricultural country, is among the poorest and =
least developed nations in the world. It has been under often-brutal =
military rule since 1962.=20

      Copyright 1999 Associated Press. All rights reserved.
      This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or =
redistributed.

    =20

------=_NextPart_000_000F_01BF5715.098B0A20

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>
<TABLE bgColor=3D#ffffff border=3D0 cellPadding=3D3 width=3D400>
  <TBODY>
  <TR>
    <TD bgColor=3D#ffffff vAlign=3Dtop>
      <P><B><FONT color=3D#000066 face=3DArial size=3D+2>Low Tech =
Myanmar Says Y2K No=20
      Problem</FONT></B><BR><I>Fri 31 Dec 1999</I> </FONT>
      <P><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>YANGON, Myanmar (AP) &#8212; =
Myanmar's lowly status=20
      as a developing nation is finally paying dividends. The government =
says=20
      the Y2K bug can do little damage in the largely computerless =
country. </P>
      <P>``It is a blessing in disguise that many of the country's =
businesses=20
      and government departments still do much of their work manually,'' =
said an=20
      official for the country's Y2K preparedness committee. </P>
      <P>The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said =
government=20
      sectors which used computers, such as communications and civil =
aviation,=20
      should experience no problems. </P>
      <P>However, a warning in the state-run media saying that ``the =
whole world=20
      will face the Y2K problem on Dec. 31 at 2400 hours'' has sparked =
fears=20
      among people who had no previous knowledge of the millennium bug. =
</P>
      <P>``I don't know what sort of danger the whole world will face on =
Dec.=20
      31st. I will watch the sky at midnight and see what will fall from =
the=20
      sky,'' said a washerwoman living in a suburb of the capital. </P>
      <P>A 55-year-old bicycle repairmain said, ``I will switch off my=20
      television so that no virus can get into it.'' </P>
      <P>Both declined to give their names, a common occurrence in the=20
      military-run country where most citizens are concerned about =
talking with=20
      reporters. </P>
      <P>State-controlled newspapers also warned computer users to guard =
against=20
      some viruses that could strike even Y2K-compliant computers =
beginning Jan.=20
      1. </P>
      <P>The warning was issued by the National Supervisory Committee =
for Y2K,=20
      which had earlier obtained help from Japanese experts on coping =
with the=20
      Y2K problem. The committee has opened a hotline for public =
inquiries. </P>
      <P>Some major international hotels in Myanmar, also known as =
Burma,=20
      planned to shut down their elevators Friday night, and have =
brought in=20
      manual typewriters for check-ins and check-outs. </P>
      <P>Myanmar, a largely agricultural country, is among the poorest =
and least=20
      developed nations in the world. It has been under often-brutal =
military=20
      rule since 1962. <BR><BR>Copyright 1999 Associated Press. All =
rights=20
      reserved.<BR>This material may not be published, broadcast, =
rewritten or=20
      =
redistributed.<BR><BR></P></FONT></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></FONT></DIV><=
/BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000F_01BF5715.098B0A20--